Chapter 20 - Going home

Had anybody been studying the pre-dawn sky one morning, about four weeks after the raid, they would have noticed a new and unusual star amidst the swirling pattern of asteroids. It did not cross the sky in stately progression according to the rules of the heavens, but rather moved against the slow wheeling of the frost-like scattering until it came to a halt and stayed, hovering over a certain point on the globe.  It was the Daedalus, locked in geo-synchronous orbit directly above a tracking implant that was emitting a life sign.  One tracking device, one life sign; which was not necessarily an indication that either Colonel Sheppard or Dr McKay had lost their lives in the more than three months they had been stranded, but was worrying nonetheless. 

The tracking device was surrounded by other lifesigns, on a tiny islet just off the coast of the mainland where the Stargate was situated.  It was decided that, rather than beam the unsuspecting traveller up immediately, Ronon and Teyla would beam down a little way from the settlement, and hope to find their lost teammates among friends.

A sudden flash of white light and they were there, amidst the tough grasses and gentle rise and fall of the dunes, hidden, for now, from any unsuspecting locals.  Teyla breathed in and raised her face to the sun, slowly rising over the hills.  She smelled the sweetness of the heather, the freshness of the sea; she hoped John and Rodney were safe.

"This way," said Ronon, heading south along the shore.  They made their way to the harder sand further down the beach where the walking was easier and ahead of them they saw a steep hill rising and behind that an islet, ringed about with wooden defences.  The beach curved around in front of them to form a riverbank, and they saw in the placid waters of the river a cluster of little round boats, each with one occupant.  Most of the sailors were children, fishing with handlines off the sides of their boats. One was an adult, who seemed to be paddling in circles rather aimlessly and awkwardly, which could have been because his left wrist was splinted.

The man looked up.  His aimless demeanour tensed suddenly and a broad grin spread over his face.

"Ronon! Teyla!" he burst out, and began paddling frantically towards them.

"Sheppard!" "John!" they replied, astonished and ran awkwardly down through the soft sand to the river bank.

Frantic paddling never being an effective technique in a coracle, John simply leapt out into the shallow water and, dragging the little boat behind him, splashed and waded his way to the shore.  He scrambled out onto the bank, dumped the coracle and paddle down and simply stood, staring at his friends.  They stared back, taking in the sight of their team leader, dressed in a rough tunic and leggings, barefoot and unshaven, but other than the splint on his left wrist, looking remarkably happy and healthy.

John was so pleased and relieved to see his teammates that when Teyla came towards him, arms outstretched, he mirrored her actions in a wholehearted hug.  Teyla breathed in unfamiliar scents of woodsmoke and wet wool and wondered what had happened to her friend and leader to change him from the morose, guilt-ridden shadow that had been stranded months ago.  Not to be outdone, Ronon also pulled John into a hug, ruffling his hair and squeezing just a bit too tightly.

"We only detected a tracker on the islet," said Teyla.  "We did not expect to find you here!"

"Oh, that'll be Rodney, probably still in bed," said John.  "I guess my implant's damaged, or gone or something," he said, rubbing his upper arm.

"What happened? You took some fire?" enquired Ronon.

"I took an axe," said John, shrugging ruefully.  "It's all good now, though!"

"And you wrist?" said Teyla.

"Oh, yeah, well that's nearly healed now too.  We had a few, er, issues to deal with."