#7

She stood there, puzzled and unable to make a move that will make her escape from this dilemma she had put herself into. She squirmed and he flashed her a deadly glare, without even waiting for an order from him, Fadwa stuttered the words out.

"I want to pray, and there's no praying mat in the kitchen I could use. I want to get my black veil I left here." It was hard, for she wasn't able to look into his eyes and utter the words, and her hands were fidgeting each other that Fadwa got scared she might wound herself.

"Go away!" If this wasn't his favorite phrase, then Fadwa would love to know what is, because he had used it more than she cared to count since her arrival in his house. She rushed out of the corridor and went back to the kitchen, staring at the sparkly clean tiles and she muttered to herself.

"Ya Allah, forgive me if this tiled floor has even an ounce of najasah, forgive me Ya rabb." And she stood straight and faced the qibla before she started offering her zuhr prayer. She finished and was saying her azkhars when she heard his laughter from the living room, she knew it would soon be time for lunch, and by rabb she didn't know what to cook for this narcissistic and arrogant boss of hers. A pout adorned her lips before she walked out of the kitchen.

She prowled and met him watching the television while having a call with someone she understood to be his mother, due to how he was whining and laughing at the same time. And the sudden urge to feel herself in the embrace of her Ammi rushed to her veins, she pouted. He looked her way and his demeanor changed in whole, Fadwa knew she was into another trouble again.

"Mamitah, I have a complaint too, why would you choose a poor and wrecked lady to be my maid for god sake? Would you imagine? This girl cooked indomie for me as breakfast, Indomie, Mamitah." There was a long pause before he answered hesitatingly and motioned for Fadwa to get the phone from his hand.

He didn't mean that! How in the whole world would she speak to his mother? If he as the son is as arrogant and malicious as this, how would his mother? Don't judge Fadwa! Her inner subconscious warned and she took hesitating steps towards him and was sharp in holding his phone that almost slipped out of her hands.

"Assalamu Alaikum, good afternoon, Hajia." Her voice was shaking, and her left hand was doing all it takes not to let his phone slip off her hand.

"What is your name? And why in the whole world would you cook indomie to him as a breakfast?" That was sharp, Fadwa thought and braced herself for more heart wrenching words to come.

"My name is Fadwa, and I'm so sorry for cooking that to him because I have no idea what he wants for breakfast. I'll never repeat that again, trust me." He learnt her lesson when he asked of her name and she told him her full name, she might've hated Baffah, but hearing someone insulting him and downgrading him as a father would hurt as much as it would, if Baffah was a good father to them.

"Hold it back there, young lady. Hold your sorry to yourself. I paid you for this work, not that there aren't fancy restaurants in Yola for him to order whatever it is he wants to eat at the hour he wants, but it's because he doesn't eat anything cooked outside his home. If I wanted, I can hire a chef from France just for him. It's better to take your job serious and do what is right. I'll send the timetable of what you should be cooking for him for a month, let's see where it goes. Hand him the phone back."

She gulped down a lump in her throat and handed Maheer his phone back before she rushed back to the kitchen to steady her beating heart. The woman had an accent Fadwa couldn't decipher where she came from, but it was surely not african, she would love to hear her speak in Hausa or Fulfulde, did she even know something like Fulani ever existed on earth? Fadwa doubted.

She wondered how the woman would look, would she be fair like her son? Or she would have those blue eyes that always scared her? How would his female siblings look like? She heard him talking to them over the phone in the morning. Was she the one that furnished this house? If yes, she surely have a good taste in fashion.