0.6

the teens rode down the mountain as quickly as they could. it fell quiet among them as they reached the city, seeing how bad of shape it was in.

there was tons of smoke polluting the air, there was trash and car parts everywhere, and there was nobody to be seen. they could still hear explosions in the distance.

"there!" dariush exclaimed, pointing to the sheriff's station. gabriel's breath hitched as they began to walk up to the building.

"man, this place is trashed." dariush observed.

"guys, i don't... nobody's uh..." gabriel tried to let his sentence out, but it made him feel weird, just standing by the place. plus, if a cop was in there, he didn't want to get caught again. they stopped, turning around to him.

"what?" dariush asked. gabriel took off his helmet.

"you guys go ahead. i'll just- i'll stay back and watch the bikes." he told them. sierra frowned.

"what? oh, yeah, because the aliens wanna jack our mountain bikes." dariush remarked. gabriel avoided eye contact from everyone. sierra rolled her eyes as alex just stared at gabriel.

alex and sierra could both tell that the place made him uncomfortable.

"yeah, looters could take them." alex said, making gabriel look up. "someone should stay and watch."

"yeah. actually, i'll stay and watch too." sierra said. gabriel smiled at sierra and alex.

dariush looked between gabriel and sierra, remembering what happened earlier in the ship.

"whatever, man." dariush brushed off, dropping his bike and walking into the building with alex and zhen. sierra turned around to gabriel.

"are you okay?" she asked, taking off her helmet.

"yeah. it's just... nevermind. um, y-you didn't have to stay out here with me." he told her, leaning against a tree. she walked over to him, standing across from him. she stayed silent for a bit. he was about to tell her something, but he held back.

"n-no, it's fine."

"are you okay?" he asked. it was appropriate, after all the things that went down at the camp. she looked down at her shoes, too scared to make eye contact with him.

"i just w-wanna know if my s-s-sister is okay." she told him. gabriel frowned and looked around at the debris.

"i'm sure she's fine, everybody evacuated anyways, don't worry." he reassured. she let out a small smile.

"and don't listen to dariush. what he said back there is not true. he was just mad that he gave head to an alien." he exclaimed. she broke out into giggles as gabriel smiled at her. seeing her smiled made him smile.

"y-yeah. he was pretty pissed."

he didn't say anything else, he just stared at her. he knew he should stop, but he almost couldn't turn away. it went unnoticed for a few seconds, before she noticed his quiet he was.

she looked up and there he was, staring at her with his huge heart eyes. "what?"

"nothing."

"okay." she knew that she was getting nervous, since they were alone. dariush wasn't around to make snarky remarks and alex wasnt there to make everyone uncomfortable with his awkwardness. it was just them, in the middle of an apocalypse. gabriel sensed her nervousness and smirked.

"how come you're only nervous when it's just you and me? also, what happened in the ship earlier?" gabriel suddenly gained confidence as he got off of the tree and began to walk slowly towards her, staring straight into her eyes. her breath hitched as she began walking backwards.

she awkwardly scratched the back of her neck as she backed up.

"um, i-i don't recall-"

"don't be nervous, it's just me." he reassured. she backed up against the wall of the building, realizing she had no more room. she blushed even more as he inched closer and closer.

at that point, she didn't care. she didn't care if the others came outside and caught them, she didn't care if he kissed her, and she didn't try to deny herself. she knew that she would kiss him back.

there was tension between them, ever since they first saw each other in the woods. the others knew it too, but they wanted to let the two figure it out on their own.

"gabriel..." she whispered. her saying his name made him want to kiss her even more. he could almost feel the butterflies about to burst out from his stomach.

she followed his eyes as they trailed down to her lips. their hearts began to beat faster as they began to lean in. she closed her eyes, getting ready for her first ever kiss.

just as their lips brushed against each other, the others burst out of the front doors of the building, making gabriel jump at least ten feet away from her. sierra's eyes remained wide as they all walked down the stairs.

her cheeks were madly flushed as gabriel rolled his eyes, mad that they ruined their little moment.

"alex let a hobo escape jail, just incase you were wondering." dariush exclaimed as he put his helmet on.

everyone stopped and stared at sierra and gabriel. you couldn't blame them. they were both panting heavily and they both looked like tomatoes.

"what happened with you two?" zhen asked, raising her eyebrows. they both looked at each other quickly before turning away.

"nothing." dariush raised his eyebrow at gabriel.

"mhm. come on, let's get going." zhen said, putting her helmet back on. they all began to put theirs on too.

gabriel winked at sierra before mounting his bike and following zhenzhen.