0.8

"i told you that was a stupid idea!" gabriel yelled, obviously out of breath.

they could still hear the gunfire in the distance. they felt like they've been running for hours, and all of their feet were screaming at them.

"you idiots almost got me killed! i never even wanted to go to summer camp! i should be in cabo taking jelly shots off of someone's ass cheeks!" dariush complained. "slow down, slow down."

sierra heavily rolled her eyes as they stopped running.

"i never wanted t-to go summer camp either! but life fucked us all in the ass and now we're here!" sierra yelled back at him. gabriel raised his eyebrows at her.

"what do you think these things are after?" zhen asked, placing her hands on her knees.

"food, maybe? resources?" alex suggested. "it's possible their planet went dry and they came to raid ours."

"what gives you that idea?" dariush asked.

"nothing. it's the most common invasion movie plot." alex admitted, making sierra laugh a little.

"maybe they're here to find mates. that would explain the erotic rendezvous with dariush earlier." zhen said.

"aye, we not gonna talk about that. it was strictly platonic. lets just head north, okay? to the dessert. away from those things." dariush told them.

"there is no away from those things." zhen said. sierra nodded.

"zhenzhen's right. the only way we can survive is if we get this key to dr. fielding. it's what that soldier was gonna do."

"he died! okay, look, if a bunch of bad-ass marines can't get that key forty feet away without getting deep fried, what makes you think we can't get it forty miles?" dariush asked. he had a good point.

"we have to. it's on us." alex rejoiced.

"okay, we're not going anywhere until we get some food. maybe even some sleep if we can." zhen instructed. they all nodded.

"sounds cool. what's up with chico?" dariush asked, referring to gabriel. all their heads snapped over to him. he had glossy eyes as he looked around the area.

concern instantly fell upon her as she walked over to him, grabbing his hand.

"hey, what's wrong?" she asked. he instantly felt calmer by the feeling of her touch.

"it's my street." he muttered, tears threatening to spill out his eyes.

"great! can we go in your house?" alex piped up.

"it's my house but... it's not my home." he sniffles. sierra furrowed her eyebrows. she rubbed the palm of his hand with her thumb.

"i haven't been totally honest with you guys. i was in the mountains because... i was in juvie, and i escaped." he revealed.

sierra's eyes went wide. she had no possible idea. she knew that he was mysterious, but she never expected juvie.

"so even if my mom is here, then she's not gonna wanna see me." he told them, his voice cracking. her heart began to ache, she hated seeing him like this.