Chapter 2

Elder Kettle looked up as Cuphead and Mugman charged through the door, words stumbling over each other. But somehow he managed to get what they were saying. "Boys," he said, shaking his head. "What a fine pickle you have gotten yourselves into!"

 Cuphead hung his head shamefully. "I know you don't want to be pawns of the Devil," he said, lifting Cuphead's head with his finger. "But if you refuse...I can't bear to imagine your fates." Mugman gulped and edged closer to Cuphead. "You must play along for now. Collect those contracts. And you'd best be ready for some nasty buisness. Your debtor 'friends' won't be very friendly once you confront them. In fact, I expect they'll turn into terrible beasts."

 Elder Kettle's head popped open, and a vial full of blue liquid landed in his palm. "Take this potion so they won't hang you out to dry," he said.

 Cuphead took it, opened it, and took a swig, trying to chug it all down before Mugman snatched it away, glaring daggers at his brother. Mostly peeved because Cuphead didn't want him to help. As soon as they drunk it, it burned and froze in their throats at the same time. They felt themselves movement, yet they weren't in control.

 "It will give you the most magical abilities," Elder Kettle said. "Now go to my writing desk and use the mystical inkwell there. You need to prepare yourself for a scrape." He smiled at them sadly and gave them each a hug. "Good luck, you troublesome little cups."

 The two nodded. "Hey, Mug, can you go get the inkwell," Cuphead asked.

 Mugman nodded, and headed up the stairs. He wasn't mad at Cuphead. Cuphead had always been like this. He always did stupid things, but always for good reasons. He looked in Kettle's study, and saw a glowing inkwell on the desk. He entered, and reached for it, just as the door slammed shut behind him, and the sound of a lock sliding.

 He whirled, and pounded on the door. "LET ME OUT!" he screamed.

 "I'm sorry, Mugman," Cuphead said behind the door. "I got us into this mess, I can't drag you into it."

 The sound of footsteps fading away filled Mugman with dread. "CUPHEAD!" he shrieked. But Cuphead was long gone, darting down the hill.

 He ran for ages through the forest, before colliding with a taller figure, one who he reached by the shoulders. He stumbled back, mumbling apologies, before blushing madly when he realised who it was.

 "S-Sorry King Dice," he said.

 King Dice grinned, and put a hand to his shoulder. Cuphead's heart sped up. "I just came to tell you that to get to the other Isles you'll have to check in with me first," he said. Cuphead blushed harder. 

 "Got it!" he said, and Dice smiled, then left. He smiled to himself, then raised his head and went to start collecting.

 Mugman pounded on the door some before, until he heard shuffling footsteps. The lock slid out of place, and Elder Kettle opened the door, Mugman stumbling out. "Where's Cuphead?!" he asked.

 "He just left," Elder Kettle said. Mugman darted down the stairs, out the door and into the world, chasing after his brother.

 He eventually caught up, and when he did, he tackled Cuphead to the ground, wrestling him. "Don't leave me behind!" he cried, wrangling his brother. 

 Cuphead shoved him off. "I was only trying to protect you!" he cried.

 "Well, I don't need protecting! I'm not a little kid anymore, Cuphead! I'm two minutes younger than you, not two years! I don't need a babysitter!"

 "I'm still your older brother, and I will protect you, whether you like it or not!"

 "No you're not! It's my fault we're in this, so I'm going to get us out of it!"

 "Not without my help you're not!"

 Mugman stood, glaring at his brother. "Now, let's go!" he said, and stormed off.

 Cuphead knew better to argue with Mugman when he was like that. It was better off to leave it.

 He followed, defeated, passing various citizens. He wished he hadn't rolled the dice. He wished he hadn't.

 Now his brother was suffering because of it. If this is what it takes to impress King Dice, it's worth it, he thought. He collided with someone, to see his brother had stopped. At the rim of a dark forest.

 Elder Kettle had warned them as children that it was dangerous to go in the forest, because they might get lost and hurt.

 But their only way to the town quickly was that way. And obviously they had to go through it...