Chapter 5 (Botanic Panic)

The garden. It had been a great place for them as children. There were fields to play in, and people (well, plants) to play with.

 Psycarrot was a carrot, with white-and-yellow eyes. He had forehead creases, but no one except his companions knew why. He was a show-off, and a little mad, but he was friendly and gave Cuphead and Mugman free vegetables. He hated being called his birth name, Chauncey Chantenay.

 Weepy was an onion, who had panophobia (fear of everything). He was light brown with darker stripes, and had a big, purple nose. He was socially awkward, but other than that he was usually very happy and affectionate. His birth name was Ollie Bulb.

 Moe Tato was the meaner of the two. He was brown with speckles on his skin. He always wore a grumpy expression, and was very moody. But he was funny and told good stories. His birth name was Sal Spudder. 

 Every year, Elder Kettle would take them to a market hosted by them, and they always gave them fresh fruit and vegetables just from playing with them when they were younger.

 So seeing their names, written neatly in black ink was a shock beyond shocks. Cuphead buried his face in his hands, groaning. Mugman patted his back. "It's okay," he said. "Let's just get this done."

 Mugman loved the crunch of fresh dirt beneath his feet. He remembered it as a young kid, walking up the path.

 He took a deep breath before stepping into the pathway. Instantly a grumpy brown face popped up, with tiny bumps that must've been Vegetoid acne. "Hiya, boys," Moe Tato said. "How ya doin'?"

 Cuphead pointed his finger at him. "I'm sorry, Moe," he said. "We have to collect your soul contract...for the Devil."

 Moe shrunk back, a brief flash of fear illuminating his eyes. His shade turned a little paler, his eyes dilated and he shivered. But in a quick flash it was gone, replaced by the usual, scowling face Moe Tato was known for. "Well, then, boys," he snarled, in a tone so venomous it made Mugman flinch. "I ain't givin' it up without a fight."

 A man's voice spoke over Cuphead's words: "Here's a real high-class bout. You're up!"

 Moe Tato sucked in a deep breath, his cheeks welling up, and he suddenly spat at them, a ball of dirt flying towards them.

 Cuphead shoved Mugman to one side, and somehow managed to dodge the ball. Moe looked between the both, assessing, before Cuphead shot him full in the arm. He grabbed it with a cry of pain and rage, and sucked in another breath, spitting at Cuphead.

 Cuphead dropped to the ground, breathing in the scent of fresh dirt, and rolled, feeling the wind of it roll by him. Moe sucked in another breath, and Cuphead jumped into the air, just as he spat out a bundle of worms, all looking very startled. 

 Mugman jumped at them, and bounced right off them, their pink colouring fading out of themselves and into him.

 He looked at his hands, startled. He felt...powerful. 

 He grinned at Cuphead, and both shot at their enemy, hitting him. Moe sucked in another breath, but both knew his pattern by now, and easily dodged the four dirt balls he sent towards them.

 Mugman let Cuphead get the next bunch of worms. Their colour once again seemed to seep into the kidult. Cuphead turned to Moe, pulled his arms back, mouth opening wide, and thrust his arms forward, mouth snapping shut, and a powerful blue ball of pure energy hit Moe straight in the face. 

 Moe stumbled back, but didn't fall, despite some peels of skin falling off. The next four dirt balls were just as easy. He growled in frustration, and Cuphead shot one last time.

 He grabbed his face, rubbing it in frustration, and sunk into the ground, whimpering. "Moe!" a sad voice shrieked.

 Cuphead turned to his brother, both with crestfallen looks on their faces. Neither of them wanted to hurt Weepy. He...was too scared to be hurt. Neither of them wanted to scare him further.

 Weepy popped out of the ground, eyes filled with unshed tears. As soon as he saw the two boys, he instantly began crying.

 Some tears were pink, most were clear. Mugman was too slow to dodge a clear one, and it hit his leg. Instantly it fizzled and bubbled his skin. It hurt and he screamed in pain, clutching his leg in horror. He pulled his hands away to look at the damage, and it was raw, red, and melted. 

 He gritted his teeth in pain and dragged himself behind a rock, laying down, hearing nothing but the shoots and cries from his brother and Weepy.

 Finally, the cries stopped and a new laughter filled the air. This laughter was insane, and maniacal. 

 Mugman peered over. Psycarrot was sending carrots and beams towards Cuphead, and it looked like he had his hands full, keeping his eyes on everything.

 Psycarrot could tell he was losing to the little toon, and so he send a carrot around behind Cuphead, which hit him full on the back. Cuphead grunted, but remained upright, and clenched his fists at the mad carrot, shooting as much as he could.

 But he kept concentrating and when it seemed like it was about to end, Cuphead was thrown to the ground.

 Mugman was filled with a sudden rage. How dare anyone hurt his brother! How dare they even think it! He turned his finger to Psycarrot and shot. The carrot fell to the ground, pulling his tops and lay there, defeated, a soul contract falling out of a pocket in his skin.

 "We did it, Mug," Cuphead said, stumbling over. "We did it."