Prologue

The sky had turned gray from the beautiful blue it once was. The fight was done. The Symbol of Peace had won his battle, but at the same time, he also lost.

I caused Toshinori trouble, again. I got in his way when I should've stepped aside, and now the face that was always smiling was replaced with tear stains and agony.

"What's up with that look Toshinori? The Symbol of Peace needs to always be smiling."

I tried to lighten the gloomy mood with my typical humor.

"How could I smile at a time like this. I wasn't able to protect you, and now look at you. And how can you joke at a time like this?"

"That's just how I am Toshinori, you know that. And what happened to me was my own fault. I got in your way. I should've known better as a Pro-Hero. Guess I messed up this time."

Through the pain, I smiled. Trying to get Toshinori to see the brighter side of the situation. He defeated his foe. He avenged his master. He did what he was set out to do, but I, I was the one who made him like this. I made took away the smile from the Symbol of Peace.

"Toshinori... everything feels heavy. I don't think I can keep my eyes open much longer. I'm so tired. I really want to sleep."

"WAIT MINA!!! They're almost here! The paramedics are almost here! Please don't leave me too!"

Tears were swelling up. I haven't seen this man cry in so long, and seeing him like this made the tears in my own eyes swell up.

I didn't have much time left, and I had something very important to tell him. He, most likely was going to be made at me for keeping such a secret for so long, but... he had other things to worry about.

"Toshinori, I-I need to tell you something. Please, don't be angry with me, but you have..."

Before the words could escape my lips, my voice went silent. The words wouldn't come out and through the darkness that was taking me, I watched the Symbol of Peace shatter in a million of pieces. That iconic smile was gone, and it was all my fault.

In that moment I realized what I had become to him.

I became the one he couldn't save.