What follows a kiss?

A/N:

I have no explanation for how long this has taken to update. I guess I've figured I'll never get the perfect bit calm to write my stories, in fact I've just come back to another term of sixth form. You've just gotta make time for the things you enjoy. (btw did you know cowboys were super gay irl? I feel like it I write another pic for these guys I'll use that in it) Thanks for the support :)

- M.M

Jed POV

Octavius's mouth was hot against his. Jed felt like there'd be a burning imprint on his lips as Oct pulled away.

Oct looked slightly nervous as he pulled away. "Jed, I'm sorry, was that-"

And Jed kissed him again. He didn't care if this was wrong, he needed to taste Octavius's lips again. Octavius quickly got over his surprise and was kissing back, knotting his fingers through Jed's hair. His warmth swept through Jedediah, it filled his chest and tired knots in his stomach. Jed felt like he was coming undone by Oct's touch. He couldn't think anymore.

Octavius was the first to pull away. He cupped Jed's face in his hand as they just looked at each other, unsure. Jedediah swallowed nervously. He put his arms around Oct and rested his face in the crook of his neck.

"Oct, I'm... Hell, I don't know what I feel right now. I don't think I'm ready to talk about this right now so can- can we just stay like this."

"Okay," Octavius said softly. He ran comforting hands through Jed's hair and felt the tension drain from the cowboy. "I'll be here when you're ready to talk."

Eventually Larry called to see if they had sorted things out. 

"Sorry, guys. I would've given you more time but it'll be sunrise soon."

"That's alright, amigo. Me 'n' Oct are buddies again now." 

But Jed didn't really look at Oct. He gave Jed a look but didn't comment.

"Alright," said Larry. "Let's get back to your displays then."

[ le timeskip ]

Oct POV

The next night, Octavius rushed to see Jed. They hadn't talked at all as they returned home. It left a twisting feeling in his gut. 

In the Wild West display Jedediah was seemingly his usual cheerful self, goofing around with some of his cowboy buddies. They waved and greeted Oct as he arrived. Jed saw him and his smile seemed to stiffen for a second.

"Jedediah, would you join me in sliding down the hand rails?"

"Sounds good, partner." Jed couldn't hold his gaze. "What says you boys? Up for some slidin'?"

Oct frowned slightly at this. Sure they didn't spend all their time together but Oct wanted Jed alone right now. Surely Jed would be aware of that? Surely Jed would want that to?

As Jed's buddies whooped and headed to the edge of the exhibit, Octavius caught Jed's arm before he started to follow them. "I'd hoped to catch you alone." It sounded uncomfortably formal, even to Oct.

Jed didn't turn around, his head was low, his eye's hidden from Oct by his hat. "Oct, I... I'm not..."

Impenetrable silence.

"Oct, I just-"

"Hey Jed! Where you at? Not scared o' height now are ya?" Their friends had already jumped down from the display.

Jed yank his arm away. "Not yet, Oct." His tone was stern, but Octavius could feel the plea behind them. So they spent the night goofing around and didn't talk about the night before yet it still hung between them.

[ another timeskip! ]

A week! An entire week! Jedediah was avoiding him. He was careful not directly avoid him, always keeping people around them. But even their friends hd begun to notice, just last night a cowboy had said "you ain't Jed's favourite no more?" It was a joke for now. Of course Octavius hadn't expected anything much from Jed, he was still vulnerable, still unsure and afraid. But he'd got nothing. Nothing after the bruising desire of that kiss.

He had no choice.

Jed POV

As the first ray's of sunlight blushed the horizon, Jed walked along the fronts of the houses of the Wild West. He surveyed his home and waited for the sun froze him in place so his troubled mind could rest for the day.

"Psst!" It came from the alley beside Jed.

There was Octavius. 

"What in high hell!" Jed whispered frantically, slipping into the alley.

"You won't talk to me." Oct hadn't meant to sound so hurt but the week of stress had worn him down to his raw feelings. 

"Ya still need to be at your display for sunrise."

"It's too late, I can't be seen here. Take me to your house so we can talk tomorrow night."

Jed swallowed, clearly anxious.

"Please, Jedediah."

The cowboy looked down. "Oct, I ain't ready."

Octavius took his hand but Jed didn't move. "I know you're afraid. I'll help you, please just keep me by your side." Jed squeezed his hand and Octavius stepped closer. 

Jed finally spoke softly. "I've missed you, partner." And he finally gave him a weak smile and began to lead him home. "Better pony up before sunrise."