Meetings - Part 5

Monday morning I was practically pounding on their door, trying to get them to wake up. We had a meeting to get to in less than an hour and I'd been knocking for ten minutes already. I was beginning to sweat under the already surprisingly warm morning sun. Autumn was well on its way, it should have been getting cooler by now. Another round of knocking left my knuckles stinging from the force.

When I still got no response I folded my arms in frustration, trying to figure out where they might be. They knew we had a meeting this morning. I'd called them to remind them about it last night. I was debating what to do when a movement in the front window caught my eye. I glance over just in time to see a flash of blond hair disappear from sight as the curtain fell back into place. Tareiji. And where Tareiji was Jareka was. Anger replaced irritation. I was being deliberately ignored.

Listening carefully now, I could hear soft humming from inside. It sounded nervous. It seemed that even when he was hiding Tareiji couldn't keep quiet.

I took a deep breath and let it out, before knocking calmly. After reading their reports yesterday, I had a hunch about what might get them to cooperate.

"Boys," I called out, forcing my tone to stay even. "If you don't get out here I'm going to the meeting myself and signing off on the original proposal." I threatened with as much conviction as I could manage. I heard the sharp snap of the lock and the door flew open. Tareiji stood in the doorway looking panicked, Jareka lingering just behind him.

"You wouldn't!" He protested.

"Don't test me." I warned, hiding my surprised that I'd gotten such as strong reaction to what had been nothing more than a wild guess on my part.

There was only a moment's pause before Tareiji reached behind him, snatched Jareka's wrist and raced past me and down the stairs, dragging Jareka with him. He paced anxiously while I locked their door and pulled it shut behind me. I unlocked the car as I walked down the stairs and had the satisfaction of watching Tareiji scramble in as quickly as he could, with Jareka slinking in after him.

Despite being pleased with my small revenge, something nagged at the back of my mind. This seemed out of character. Granted, I hadn't known them very long, but so far, aside from arguing with me over scheduling projects, they had been relatively accommodating, even if they were a little on the weird side personality-wise. Suddenly becoming outright confrontational like this seemed strange. And there was Tareiji's overreaction to my threat I couldn't make sense of either. Then again, the reports had been filled with stuff like this. Perhaps I had just gotten unusually lucky my first week with them. Either way, I needed to know what had caused it.

I slid into the driver's seat, and closed the door, but didn't start the car. I let the silence hang there, as I stared straight ahead.

It only lasted a few seconds before Tareiji gave a soft, very shaky hum. I turned around to look at them. Tareiji had a death grip on the door, his knuckles showing white against already pale skin. He shot me a look I could only describe as distressed, and made a noise that sounded like something between a whimper and a nervous laugh. Jareka sat staring silently past Tareiji and refused to look at me.

"Guilty consciences?" I asked, rather coldly.

Tareiji gave a short laugh that sounded more like a hiccup, and Jareka remained silent.

"Did I do something to deserve this?" My tone was harsh.

Jareka finally spoke. "We won't be forced into projects."

So this was about me making them consent to projects they had initially rejected.

"I don't recall forcing you. You were the ones who told me what changes needed to be made," Jareka twitched, and it made me suspicious. "and I willingly accommodated them." I continued. "If that's truly the problem, I suggest you pursue another career because you'll never make it in this one with that attitude. However," I watched Jareka carefully. "If the problem is that I got you to tell me what you have issues with," They both flinched this time. "then get over it. It's my job, and for the better, if I know what pushes your buttons." I'd hit the nail on the head, judging from the looks on their faces.