𝐭𝐞𝐧

~~
Molly

I woke up to Dallas hovering over me. He smiles at me. I had a major headache.
"She's awake." He tells the gang. They all rush over to me.
"I'm so happy you're alright." Soda whispers, putting his arms around me. He puts his hand on the back of head, and pulls me close to his chest. He pulls out of the hug, and gazes into my eyes. His eyes started to tear up, and Pony started to bawl as well, still hugging me.

I was beyond confused. Didn't this already happen?
"What are you guys talking about?"
"Don't worry 'bout it." Darry side smiles.
Little did I know I almost died. Again.

My brothers finally let go of me, and it sit up. As I look to my left, I see a girl. She looked older than me. She had green eyes, wavy hair, and a few freckles. She was standing right beside Dallas, with her arms crossed, looking up at me.

I had never seen her in my life. What was she doing here?
"Molly, this is Angela." Dally explains.
"And, Angela, this is Molly."
"Hi." I mutter.
She looked away, and didn't respond.
"Hey, c'mon, be nice." Dal nudges her a little.
She waved at me quickly, then rolls her eyes.

She was real pretty, but she had an attitude. I didn't like it very much. And, I still didn't know who the hell she was!
"You forgettin' somethin', Dal?" Pony raises his eyebrows.
"What? Oh! Molly, Angela's my sister." Dallas responds.

My eyes widen. Dallas had a sister?! I guess it made sense. She was a lot like him; rude, and... well that's about it.
"Oh." I nodded.
Maybe I would have been more excited if I were the old me, but I can't seem to figure out where she went.

I look down at the cuts and scrapes on my arms. They're finally starting to heal, but somehow I still feel the same way mentally. I'm becoming afraid of my own shadow.

It's all so odd. Everything that happens just triggers a flashback to that night. I could still hear the sound of the Mustang's horn, and Bob's voice.

I hated that voice. That voice told me that I wasn't worthy because of my gender, or that I wasn't good enough for consent, or that I am, and always will be 'just a girl.'

Sometimes I wish I was a boy. Boys have it all. Boys aren't looked at as weak, and they're not thrown around like rag dolls.

Men and women are equal, so why aren't we treated like it? That never made any sense to me. Why can't we be treated the same?

So many things have been bouncing back and forth in my mind since that night. I thought about things I'd never even dream about saying before.

"What's wrong?" Pony asks.
"I dunno." I exhale.
He sits on the edge of my bed.
"You wanna read something?" He smiles.
Somehow, when ever Pony smiled, I always found a smile planted on my face, too.
"Sure." I beam.
I used to read with my dad all the time, and Pony knew that it always made me happy.

I hand him the book that had been laying beside my on the tiny, white, night stand. He opened the book, and flipped through a few pages until he got to chapter one. After the first sentence had escaped his lips, I started to feel better.

I shift my position on the bed, and motion for him to lay down next to me. He obeys, and continues to read.

We always used to read together, back at home. It was the little things like these, that always made me feel at home in the hospital. I even thought we were actually home for a second.

I day dreamt of going back home. Cuddling up with a bunch of blankets, watching a movie with everyone. I really miss that, and I'm trying my hardest to get better, so we could all go back home, and things would go back to normal.

I look over at Angela. She's so bitter. Her arms were crossed, and her left eyebrow was raised slightly.
"What'r you lookin' at?" She scoffs.
Dally rolls his eyes.
"Can't you just be nice?! For once?" He huffs, visibly frustrated. "God, man." He shakes his head.
"No." She replies, without emotion.

I smile at her faintly.
Her attitude was not my cup of tea, but deep into her pale green eyes, I saw a nice girl, who had just seen too much, too soon. She ignored her sorrows, and her cries for help, and turned them into sour remarks.

She smiles back a little.
I guess she wasn't all that bad. Her lip was cut up a bit. Maybe that's why she's so mean. Maybe the same thing that happened to me, happened to her.

"Hey, kid." Dally sits down beside me.
I really missed him a lot when he and Pony left, and I was just happy to have him back.

"What's goin' on." He smiles as he tussles my hair.
I didn't say anything. I just smiled, hoping that was a good enough answer. The truth is I really was feeling better. A lot better. The doctor even said I could start walking again in a few days!

All was good, and everyone was happy again. Maybe I will recover, and everything can go back to normal again.
Dally swings his arm around me.
"Good." He replies, still smiling.

Dally always understood what I was saying. Even if a single word hadn't escaped my lips.
"So what's Angela's deal?" I ask him, secretively.
"She had it rough since the day she was born." He explains.
"My old man left her on some doorstep after she was born."
Woah. That's pretty messed up.
"And back at her house, her folks beat her n' stuff."

I guess she did have it rough, but at least she's safe with us now.

"I'm goin' get somethin' to eat." Two-Bit exclaims as he picks himself up from his seat. "Y'all want anything?"
"Yeah, I'll go with ya." Johnny says.
"Anything's better than hospital food." I add.
Pony stops reading and snickers a little.
"I'll get'cha a milkshake, Moll." Two-Bit smiles.
Johnny grins at me, and follows Two out the door.

If I wasn't stuck in a hospital bed I could have gone with 'em. If none of this had happened I could have gone with them. But... it did happen, and I needed to face it.

This happened, and the only way I can change it, is by pushing myself to get better, and surrounding myself with my family. And I already had the second part down, because the gang was already here.

I put my arm around Pony's shoulder, pulling him into a hug. He smiles brightly back at me, and turns the page.