02. DESPAIR IN THE AIR

WAY DOWN WE GO

CHAPTER TWO: DESPAIR IN THE AIR

THE world stopped as Katniss took in the words she was hearing

They were coming for Prue today.

Soon.

Katniss shot into the dining room and disappeared as she rushed into the kitchen, she had to get them out, they had to leave.

She was throwing cabinets open as she went, grabbing herbs and parcels of food they'd be able to preserve. Peeta had come into the kitchen now and was looking at her with something she thought was grief.

It was hopelessness.

"Katniss," he murmured, she didn't dare to look at him, to catch his hopelessness and lose faith in the idea of escape.

"Katniss," he spoke again, his voice firmer now. She stopped and slowly turned to look at him, just as they locked gazes a series of rough knocks came from the door.

"No," she breathed out, "no."

She was running now, running to Prue and grabbing her hand, they still had time. She could still get them out.

She tugged her daughter towards the back doors and shoved them open, "Come on," she motioned towards her husband and Rye.

The young boy chased after his mother as she dove out into the tall grass of the outdoors. She was hurtling down the small hill that led to the woods and was reaching back for Rye's hand when she saw Peeta rushing after them. He was going to come, he was going to escape with them.

A shot rang out through the air.

Katniss almost froze, but knew it was the difference between life and death.

She kept tugging on her children, "Mommy," Rye gasped.

Katniss turned to him with wide eyes. Dark red blossomed from his abdomen and Katniss looked back at Peeta, his hands were in his hair as if he was fighting with himself before he rushed towards them and dropped onto his knees beside his son.

Katniss' hand was still holding Ryes and she found for a moment she didn't know how to let go, turning to Prue she wrenched her hand free and motioned towards the trees.

"Go," she spoke, Prue stood still beside her mother, staring down at her brother with teary eyes, "GO!" her mother screamed.

"Go," she cried as she dropped down beside Rye and Peeta.

Prue took a final look back at their home and watched as a swarm of peacekeepers flew out through the back doors in their direction.

She ran.

She ran towards what she hoped was freedom, what she hoped was her brother, her mother, and her father.

A heavyweight flew at her from behind, knocking the wind out of her as she collapsed to the ground face-first.