03. FLOORS

WAY DOWN WE GO

CHAPTER THREE: FLOORS

PRUES eyes cracked open against the bright light and for a moment she thought she might have been dreaming

Some awful, horrible, dream.

But she was not.

This was her reality.

The lights above her softly flickered for a moment and she found herself closing her eyes, trying to imagine how she had ended up here.

She knew exactly how.

Opening her eyes once more, she looked to her left and right hoping to see something familiar. Nothing.

The only difference between this room and the last was the fact that there was no table with surgical tools atop it, and this time she was sitting up in a small chair.

She waited for something to change. Anything.

But nothing did.

She was still stuck in that small room with that small, uncomfortable chair, and she still had a dull ache in her arm from where the needle had pierced her tanned skin.

Her fingers inched up the length of her arm to where she'd been pricked, at first she didn't feel anything, and then she pushed down ever so lightly and felt the small device in her arm.

Her fingers paused over the circular device beneath her skin and a shaky breath left her lips.

What the hell had they put inside her?

"It's a tracker."

Prue's head jerked up in surprise, her eyes quickly falling to a young woman.

"Every tribute receives one," she went on, taking a few small steps towards where Prue sat.

"Take it out," Prue ordered, the woman could only shake her head.

"I can't do that, and I think you know I can't."

Without putting much thought into it, Prue began to scratch at her arm with all her might, tugging and pulling at the slightly raised skin.

The woman rushed forward and pushed her hands away from her arm, "stop that! You're going to hurt yourself!" She warned.

Prue shook her head, "I don't care."

Reaching into her pocket, the woman retrieved a small syringe and placed it flush against Prue's skin, "you can either behave yourself or you can be sedated."

Prue stared back at her with slitted eyes before settling her arms at her sides.

She wasn't sure what else she could do, keep fighting and lose the advantage of being conscious for everything, or, calm down and keep that advantage.