Chapter Three- Decisions

            They dragged me to a room down a short hall. The female Pyemin never left my side, her hand clasping mine in a comforting way. She was the only one who willingly stepped more than two feet in my direction. A small cluster of Romalas were talking in hushed, hard whispers. They fell silent the moment they saw us. “Pyemin, how is this possible? Girls cannot be deemed Untouchable. They are too valuable to society!” One Romalas burst out.

            “I do not control the outcome of the Separation or what I see in my visions. You are a fool to think so. Destiny decided this girl’s fate. If I could, I would not have deemed her Untouchable.” The Pyemin hissed, her grip on my hand tightening.

            “It would seem you have an unusual attachment to this girl.” A soft spoken woman wearing the colors of the Skvante said. The Pyemin narrowed her eyes at the woman. “What makes you believe that Mariah? I have never seen this girl until the ceremony today- as per custom.” She snapped, surprising everyone with her sharp tone. Mariah was smart and kept her mouth shut.

            “Destinies cannot be changed. They are there for a reason.” A voice came from a corner of the room. Only my eyes turned in the direction of the voice. It was like the whole room was determined to ignore his very existence. In the corner stood a man, one with the shadows. His black hair had thick strands of gray intertwining with the black ones. He was dressed in an all-black tunic with red and sliver stitching. The man gave me a cheeky smile. “That’s what I tell all the new Untouchables.” His voice had a strange accent, one that greatly stood out against the familiar one everyone else spoke with. Where did he come from?

            “Watch it Eleazar.” The Pyemin sighed as if this was not the first time she had to warn him. Similar unknown expressions crossed their faces and they looked at each other for a few seconds. The air was thick with tension and unsaid things. Eleazar read out with his hand as if he was going to touch her but instead quickly retracted it, running his hand through his hair instead. “Ahhhh…. Dianali, I haven’t seen you this frazzled since… well, in a long time. How are things on your side of the wall? Who is this? I didn’t get to hear her name, being hidden in a back room after all.”

            “Her name is Sarasi.” Eleazar’s eyebrows raised and there was a question in his eyes. Dianali gave the smallest of nods only the two of us saw. Everyone else had gathered in a small cluster on the other side of the room, whispering to themselves. Eleazar’s gaze was on her before landing on me. Shifting my weight nervously, I looked down and pressed into Dianali’s back. What was to become of me? This man before me was confusing at the least. I couldn’t decide on if would try and help me adjust to my new life like all varna leaders must, or leave me to be devoured by the wolves.

            “What is done is done. You are all acting like children who didn’t get what they wanted. The gods have their reasons for placing this child with the Untouchables. Only time will show what will become of her. “The other, elderly Pyemin said in a waspy, thin voice. I wouldn’t be surprised if his replacement would be among the others waiting in the other room; the old Pyemin looked like he was about to fall over dead.

            His words hushed everyone up. Then heads started to nod in agreement. Though I think some of them were forced by how stiffly some of them nodded their heads. “You. Girl. You will wait here until the Separation ceremony is complete. Dianali will teach you what you will need to know before you depart for the Untouchables.” A Romalas ordered, not giving me time to object. It was clear he was a seasoned warrior who wasted no time in getting what he wanted. It was also that he and everyone else no longer wished to speak directly to me at all. To them, I no longer ceased to exist.

            The room emptied until I was alone. Eleazar patted me on the shoulder as he passed last. I flinched away from the stench coming off his body. I stood in the middle of the room, unsure of what to do. Tears finally found their freedom now that I had no one to hide them from. Making my body move, I paced the length of each wall twice. I tried the door, but they had locked me in. Discouraged, I slid my back against the door, pulling my knees to my chest. Resting my head on my knees and closing my eyes, I let my misery take me.