coffeeshop (e.c.)

after a long night of practice, eddy woke up late in the morning, the sheets of his hotel bed tangled around his body with a slightly disorganized pile of sheet music next to his pillow. pulling himself out of bed, he decided to visit the coffee shop down the street to wake himself up and get some last minute practice in before his rehearsal that night.

with the sheet music for the sibelius violin concerto in his hand, he strolled into the coffee shop and immediately noticed the soft sound of debussy's clair de lune playing over the speakers. he gazed inquisitively at the man behind the counter, who had disheveled hair strewn across his forehead, and slightly crooked glasses atop his nose. it might also be mentioned that the man was size ably shorter than eddy, and wore a small nametag on his apron that said "brett". finally, after analyzing the distracted man in front of him, eddy spoke up.

"can i get a coffee? with cream and sugar, please." he asked.

the shorter man looked up, clearly surprised by eddy's appearance. after a few moments of silence, he responded.

"excuse me?"

only slightly annoyed that the server didn't hear him the first time, eddy repeated himself.

"coffee. cream and sugar, too."

"sorry, sir, that'll be $2.50." brett responded, with a sense of nervousness that did not go unnoticed by eddy. perhaps i was too harsh, he thought. although, he didn't care much, and knew that after he had his morning coffee he'd be in a much better mood. eddy handed over the money, making a point to brush his calloused fingers over the soft palm of the shorter man's hand, his arrogance getting the best of him.

"can i get a name for your order?" the server asked. it was then that eddy noticed the slight pink tint of the shorter man's cheeks, and the way that he made a clear point to avoid eye contact with the taller man. with a small smile at the realization that the man in front of him was flustered at his actions, he responded with a newfound sense of confidence.

"eddy."