Recap

So this is the sequel to my book 'The One I Love', which in being honest is a loong book (71 chapters). If you haven't already read it and aren't feeling like reading it, that's fine. This new book is going to be very different from the first, meaning a lot more thought has gone into it and things will move along at a reasonable pace.

So if you don't want to read the first book, or you already have and would like a recap, continue reading. If not, continue onto the next chapter and enjoy!

Recap:

Rosie is the main character to this story, and additionally the first girl in the Glade. Some backstory to her: Wicked brought her in at a very young age, and introduced her to Newt. The pair grew up together, and fell in love together. They were practically inseparable, and certainly got up to a lot of mischief together. But then Newt disappears one day, and Rosie is left to discover he had been sent into the Maze, with no warning.

Rosie was also scheduled to be sent into the Maze as punishment for an incident in which she snuck out of the compound, was attack by a crank and killed him. However, she was supposed to go in Maze B of course. However, her brother Thomas was ridden with guilt for sending her lover away, and was able to send her into Maze A instead.

From here, Wicked is faced with the issue of what to do with this mistake. They find that Rosie provided them with a lot of patterns, so for now they keep her. In the meantime, Rosie meets Newt, and slowly they pair fall for each other again. Each night, Rosie is burdened with strange dream which turn out to be memories, the chip in her brain failing. Soon enough, the memories become regular, and she only confides them with Newt.

Wicked organises a plan to gain control over their subject yet again, and set up for her removal. Becoming a medjack, Rosie is confronted with her first stung victim. Extremely intrigued, she investigates lat at night, alone, against Newt's orders. The Runner attacks her, stabbing her with a vial Wicked sent up. This then allows them to have full control over Rosie, however they don't use it immediately. 

Things settle down, Rosie and Newt's relationship progress, introducing Chuck into their lives. After Thomas arrives, Rosie immediately recognises him from her memories as her brother. She tells Thomas, and they slowly begin to bond. With the arrival of Teresa, Wicked set their plan to get a substantial amount of patterns and kill of the mistake into motion.

They use the close bond built between Newt and Rosie to their advantage, taking full control over Rosie and making her betray Newt, telling him she just used him to get Gladers to like her and she actually happens. Rosie is forced to watch the entire incident, breaking down. Wicked continue to use her to trigger the ending, in which Teresa begins to communicate with her telepathically. Rosie, Thomas and Teresa are telepathic.

The next morning is mayhem. Newt is betrayed and dealing with a Glade falling apart, and refuses to even see Rosie. Thing continue as the did in the book, a Griever taking a Glader each night. Throughout this, Rosie had Brenda looking out for her. She, just like Thomas, admired the love she had for Newt, and couldn't see her be killed. So she hacked the system, instead of allowing the Griever to kill her, just stab her so that she bled out, diluting the serum that allowed Wicked to control her rendering it essentially useless.

Rosie is attacked and stabbed in the leg, bleeding out so much she is put into induced a coma. For a few days, Newt was worried sick. Thomas spoke to Newt, telling him that Rosie was being controlled. He knew this because he too had had a similar experience. Newt comes to his senses and realises it is true.

It takes some time, but Rosie eventually awakens, just in time for everyone to escape the Maze. Her and Newt have a talk, telling each other how very sorry they are, and how they should take things a little slower now.

When escaping the Maze, Alby sacrifices himself to give time to the other Gladers to escape. Newt is broken but continues. Rosie joins Thomas, Teresa and Chuck, however after jumping and landing on her leg and further bleeding, she is on the verge of passing out. Thomas shuts down the Grievers and everyone joins them. After Chuck is killed, Rosie is destroyed as she had a close relationship with the boy, almost a mother to him. The book ends as Newt takes her onto the bus.