Pilot (1/3)

All introductions aside, we finally begin our first day at the Office.

The only voices that can be heard in the quiet space are those belonging to Michael Scott, the branch manager, and Jim Halpert, one of the best salesmen in the office.

Michael speaks first, "All right, Jim, your quarterlies look very good," he says before asking about one of Jim's potential clients, "How are things going at the library?"

Jim responds with a deadpan voice, "Oh, I told you. I couldn't close it, so..."

Michael's green eyes widen slightly as he tilts his head to the side. The manager himself has a white dress shirt on with a red tie. The shirt seems to be pinching his neck, giving his pasty face a red complexion. His hair is thin and receding, and his eyes are tired let fun-loving.

"So you have come to the master for guidance?" Michael asks, his hands widening to indicate he means himself. Then, his voice dripping with a heavy accent that he does not normally have, he asks, "Is this what you're saying, Grasshopper?"

Jim, who was sitting in the chair across from Michael, had his chin resting on his hand as Michael leaned back in his seat with a smile, pleased with his own joke. "Uh, actually, you called me in here," Jim responded with a reminder. Michael glanced uncomfortably at one of the Documentary crew cameras with an awkward smile as Jim continued, "But, yeah."

Michael becomes serious, looking away from Jim and back again for the briefest of moments. His smile gone, he said, "All right, well, let me show you how it's done."

A moment later, Michael is on the phone with one of Jim's clients. Jim is leaning forward toward his manager, seeming bored and uninterested as Michael spoke, "Yes, I'd like to speak with your office manager, please."

There was a pause as the office manager on the other line is put on the phone. Michael's face brightens as someone on the other line says something indistinct.

"Yes, hello," he says. "This is Michael Scott. I am the regional manager of Dunder Mifflin paper products." He looks at Jim as he speaks. "Just wanted to talk to you manager a manager."

Though the deal continues, the shot clicks away to people moving about the office. A moment later, Michael is on the phone looking pleased with himself. "All right! Done deal!" He says. Then, in an Irish accent, "Thank you very much, sir! You're a gentleman and a scholar."

Michael then pauses, looking uncomfortable. "Oh, I'm sorry," he says, his voice softer. "O-kay. I'm sorry. My mistake." He then puts the phone down and clears his throat awkwardly. "That was a woman I was talking to," he confirms to Jim while shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "So. She had a very low voice. Probably, uh, a smoker. So..." He clears his throat awkwardly again before looking seriously at Jim, acting like he hadn't just made a mistake in front of one of his employees. "So that's the way it's done."

Michael decides to take the crew on a short tour of the office that first day. He approaches the sign for Dunder Mifflin Paper Co., next to the elevator while saying, "I've, uh, I've been at Dunder Mifflin for 12 years - the last four as regional manager. Uh, if you want to come through here..." He opens the door leading to the office. "Ah, see, we have the entire floor," he continues, pointing at the open office space in front of him. "So, this is my kingdom, far as the eye can see."

He then turns away from the office to approach Reception, who's desk was close on his right. "Ah, this is our receptionist Pam," he says. Pam smiles shyly at the camera. Michael begins imitating Bam-Bam while shouting, "Pam! Pam! Pam!" As he pounded his fists on her desk. Pam goes from looking shy to uncomfortable as he does this.