Chapter 33 - Design - Andrew

His fingers were knotted in his father's hair, his feet bumping his chest. 'I'm going back' Evan said and he got off the bus. So hot. His father pulled his shirt over his head. Danielle's voice whispering in his ear turned into a song, '...everything is going to be okay.' And then he was running and jumping. Rocks and boulders and he was over them reaching up...up...up. Then dropped.

"Dad!" Andrew woke with a jerk. His palms pressed against the soft weave of a sheet. His throat was parched and sore.

"It's okay. Shhh." His mom stood at his side, one hand running over his forehead and through his hair, the other clasping his hand.

"I dreamt about Dad." His voice came out hoarse and cracked.

"You did?" she asked softly. She trapped his hand between hers.

He nodded. "We were at the fair, and I was riding on his shoulders. Do you remember that day?"

She nodded and a tear slid down her cheek. She let go long enough to brusquely brush it away but then recaptured his hand.

"Evan!" he remembered. "Where's Evan?"

"I'm here." Evan stepped into view beside Robin. Andrew closed his eyes and laid back.

"The question is why," said Robin. "What made you think this was a good idea?"

"Evan thought it was–"

"Evan, nothing. You two could have been killed. I thought you had better judgment than this, Andrew. After everything we've been through. Your dad–" the words caught in her throat.

"We–"

Anger replaced the torment in Robin's voice. "No. You put Evan's life in danger."

Evan nodded. "I tried to tell him we shouldn't–"

"Don't you dare." Robin turned on him. "You're a big boy too, Evan. You know better."

"I couldn't leave him."

Robin's face softened, but her words still carried the edge of anger. "I know. Brothers. I get it. But you both saw the warnings. You disregarded them right along with Andrew."

Everyone went quiet. The only sound in the room was the soft bleeps of the monitors connected to Andrew.

Robin squeezed Andrew's hand. "You are so lucky to be alive. You have no idea. Pierce is a really good shot."

"I have a pretty good idea of how lucky I am." He closed his eyes, leaned back against his pillow, and then opened them back up. "What are you doing here?"

"I work here. Well, it's one of the places I work. I come here to do security interviews and other things."

"I know, I know. It's classified." He rolled his eyes.

"That's right. It is classified."

"Because the aliens are here?" Evan asked.

"What? No! There aren't any aliens here."

"Are you sure?" he narrowed his eyes and asked suspiciously. "Have you seen every room in this place? Is there an underground bunker? Is it a weapons facility?"

"It's not a weapons facility. It is a research facility. I promise. It's kept secret because of the type of research being done. It's about trade secrets, not national security."

Andrew looked past Robin and saw Jordan and Jinho standing at the door waiting tentatively for a break in the conversation. Jordan chewed her lower lip.

Robin followed Andrew's gaze and waved them in. "Hi, Jordan. I heard you were the one who saved my baby."

"Mom," Andrew grumbled with a roll of his eyes.