Chapter 5

We continue traveling under a bridge and then I see the dam in middle of a frozen river. Smoke rises from the chimney. "Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee." Mr. Beaver sighs.

"It's very beautiful." I tell him. I had never seen anything like it. Though I suppose everything in Narnia is different that in the real world.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though." Mr. Beaver says.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I..." Another beaver comes out of his dam and stares at us in shock. This is obviously Mrs. Beaver. "Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day." She looks at Mr. Beaver. "Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?" She complains.

"I'd have given a week if I thought it would've helped." Mr. Beaver chuckles. Lucy, Susan, Ed, and Peter follow Mrs. Beaver inside. I stay outside looking at the horizon. It's quite beautiful the way the sun reflects off the ice giving the ice a rainbow color to it. "Enjoyin' the scenery, are we?" I jump a little and look down to see Mr. Beaver staring at me. I smile and nod. Mr. Beaver goes inside and I take one last look before heading inside.

I take a seat next to Lucy and Mrs. Beaver puts food on the table. Lucy looks down at the table, sad. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope." Mrs. Beaver says. I smile at Mrs. Beaver, and she smiles back at me. Mr. Beaver spits water back into his cup.
"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope! Aslan is on the move!" We all look at each other, confused, as Edmund comes over from his place on the stairs. I smile, looking back at the beavers.

"Who's Aslan?" Ed asks. I smile at Ed.

"Aslan is hope." I tell him. Mr Beaver smiled at me.

"I see Digory told you the stories." I nod and smile.

"He didn't tell them, though." I whisper to him. He nods and looks back to the Pevensies.

"Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real King of Narnia!" Mr Beaver explains, almost shouting at them.

"He's been away for a long while." Mrs. Beaver explains. "But he's just got back! And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!"

"He's waiting for us?" Lucy questions.

"You're blooming joking!" Mr. Beaver yells at us. "They don't even know about the prophecy!" He tells his wife. "Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!" He explains.

"You're blaming us?" Peter asks.

"No! Not blaming. Thanking you!" Mrs. Beaver says.

"There's a prophecy." Mr. beaver explains, sighing.

"When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone

sits at Cair Paravel in throne,

the evil time will be over and done."

"You know that doesn't really rhyme." Susan calls him out.

"Yeah, I know it don't, but you're kinda missin' the point!" Mr. Beaver yells. "It has long been foretold that two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia." I look at the four Pevensies and smile. They're going to save Narnia.

"And you think we're the ones?" Peter asks, bewildered.

"Well you'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army." Mr Beaver says. Our army? Woah.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes!" Peter says. I look up at him.

"But you could be..." I mumble, still looking at him.

"Thank you for your hospitality. But we really have to go." Susan says, standing up. I sit there in silence before shaking my head.

"I am not going back with you guys." Peter and Lucy stare at me with disbelief. "I can't let people die for a mistake I made." Peter is about to say something when I look at the open door. "Where's Edmund?" I ask. Peter looks around the room before turning back to Susan. Edmund has disappeared.

"I'm gonna kill him." Peter growls.

"You may not have to. Has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?" They all ran out of the Beavers' house, with Mr Beaver on their tail.

I looked back at Mrs. Beaver. "Oh dear." She mumbles as she starts pacing thing up around her. "We need to start packing. Nothing good comes from the Witch's house." Mrs Beaver explains. "We have a secret passageway down the hall. Can you go clear the path there." I nod and run down the hall, finding it to be a complete mess. Mrs. Beaver was right - Mr Beaver is a total slob. I moved everything to the side and made sure there was a clear path for us to walk through. Then I lit a match and went into the passageway. It wasn't very messy in here but when I left I made sure to leave the door open, just to make it easier. I hear another door slam shut and many whispered voices. I run back to the main room and the Pevensies are back without Ed. I sigh and look at them. This can't be good.

"Mrs. Beaver, the passageway is set and ready to go." I tell her. Both Beavers nod at me and he leads the the Pevensies to the passageway, while I help Mrs. Beaver finish packing the food. We run to catch up with the others, me making sure that Mrs Beaver was in front of me. One by one we all jump out of the hole and of course, I trip and fall, landing on top of something hard. Peter and Mr. Beaver roll a barrel in front of the hole. Mr. Beaver turns and his face drops when he sees what I tripped over. I look down to see little woodland creatures turned to stone. Mr. Beaver walks up to a stone Badger and touches its paw. I remember Mrs Beaver mentioning something about Badger being a friend of Mr Beaver. How did he turn to stone?