~Five~

{Possible trigger warnings: threats, some talk about loyalty (the 'I'd die/kill for so-and-so kind', mention of harming innocents, some discussion of some background characters dying, swearing

If I miss something, I apologize and please let me know}

Roman quickly decided that the spot by the stream was one of his favorite places to sit and think. There was rarely anyone there and he could let the sound of water trickling seep over everything.

Unfortunately for him, it seemed to be Virgil's favorite place as well.

"Do you just enjoy tormenting me?" He complained as he sat down.

"Mhm, that's it." Virgil flashed a sardonic grin, tucking himself a little tighter into the spot he had chosen. "It's not as if the entire Sanctuary is open for everyone's enjoyment... but of course a hairball like you could never understand that sort of peace."

Roman rolled his eyes and sprawled out in a patch of sunlight.

He sighed happily, listening to the water ripple past him. The afternoon light was warm and Roman was feeling incredibly lazy.

"If I scratch your stomach will you kick your leg like a dog?"

"Don't touch me." Roman snapped, sitting up and glaring. The White Court smirked.

"I just want to know how close your kind is to a regular dog."

"Leave me alone you creep."

Virgil hummed and went back to staring at the creek. Roman kept glaring at him. 

"I can't imagine why they trust you to be here. You radiate 'sketchy' with everything you do."

"Shut up Dog Breath." Virgil didn't look up.

"It's not that I've never met a nice White Court," Roman continued, "though that is almost true, excluding Pops. You're particularly weird, and you seem to have a thing for aggravating others."

"Just you."

"Oh of course it's just me now, I'm your biggest threat. Must suck for you, finally having to compete with someone who can actually satisfy others' need for interaction without lying through their teeth."

"Like you've been truthful to everyone here."

Roman smirked. He could see Virgil slowly but surely shredding a small piece of grass to pieces. No matter how much he tried to hide it, the incubus was clearly irritated.

If there was one thing he knew how to do, it was get on a White Court's nerves.

"You're probably just waiting for the right moment to use Patton for your own gain. You're pretty close to him, I bet, he and Mam seem to have a sweet spot for you little black widows-"

In the blink of an eye, Virgil's face was inches from his own. Roman let out an incredibly undignified yelp and scrambled backwards.

"I owe Patton my life, and I would never do anything to hurt him. I would kill for him, I would die for him, and I would throw myself on a stake before I let myself even touch him. Don't you dare act like you know what I would and wouldn't do for the people who live here, because you don't know me and you don't know my loyalties."

Roman shivered, refusing to break eye contact. Virgil's pupils had gone tiny, and his irises turned silver.

It was a threat, clearly, but he wasn't stepping down from it.

"You are going to be a problem here, Roman, and I don't trust you. You're the kind of creature that brings calamity on innocent people."

"Don't tell me not to try and read you and then do the same thing." Roman said quietly.

"I don't need to read you." Virgil sat back, a sneer crossing his face. His eyes slowly faded back to their normal dark color. "I've seen you work, Roman Garrat, and it's not hard to see that disaster follows you."

Roman froze, watching him warily. He hadn't told anyone at the Sanctuary his last name.

Virgil tucked himself into the little spot he'd made before. "How'd that blonde girl die again? Was she the one that got dropped off a building? Or was that the little redheaded man?"

"How do you know about that?"

"You think I'd stay in the Sanctuary? How boring." Virgil rolled his eyes. "I was there when you lost the redhead. I heard about the blonde."

"You were there... that was you?!"

Roman remembered that night. The redhead, Soph was his name, had been the one dropped off a building. He hadn't been on the scene when it happened, but had run into a man with his hood up on the way in.

Thinking back on it now, he could remember silver eyes.

"You b*st*rd- what were you doing there? You better not have been involved-"

Virgil scoffed and got to his feet. "I don't get my hands dirty. But remember, Roman, I know the problems you cause and I don't trust you."

"The feeling is mutual, Soul-Sucker." Roman gritted his teeth, watching Virgil walk off. He reminded himself silently that he wasn't allowed to start fights.

"Picking arguments by digging in a bucket only gives you a handful of worms." Someone commented from off to the side. Roman jumped and looked up.

"Logan?"

The shapeshifter hopped down from the low-hanging branch he was sitting on, crossing the stream with a careful step and dropping into a crouch next to Roman.

"You and Virgil would do well to avoid butting heads."

"It's not my fault he's an insufferable creep."

Logan raised his eyebrows, looking unamused. "You've done your fair share of antagonizing. It wasn't hard to listen in on that conversation."

Roman grunted, crossing his arms and staring at the water.

"Virgil can rub people the wrong way, I've had a decent amount of spats with him in the past. But he knows his way around here better than almost all the other residents, and we respect him. He's dealt with a lot."

"I'll respect him when he gives me a reason to respect him-"

"Roman." Logan interrupted, his tone turning sharp. "The Sanctuary will not be home to you long if you cannot acclimate yourself to our rules and expectations."

He stood up and walked off as well. Roman shifted in his seat and sighed.

"Maybe he's right... but that doesn't mean I have to like him."

Stretching out again, Roman closed his eyes and resolutely decided he was staying in the sunshine for as long as he possibly could.

He sighed happily as the stream slowly lulled him into peace again, sort of drifting off.

Cold water splashed over him and Roman jumped, shoving himself upright.

He heard a now familiar snicker on the other side of the stream, even though he didn't see anyone. Roman growled in his general direction, unable to do anything else about it.

He hauled himself to his feet and began to walk back to his little house to change into dry clothes.

{if you have any questions about any characters, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can. I'm not as knowledgeable as I could be on some of them, but I'm trying to educate myself as I write so that I do know more. I also have several variations of creatures that are my personal variations so those are open for questioning as well}