A father

Lucifer speeds out of the driveway before I can even plug my seatbelt in. My stomach turns as my mind races through places to search.
I pull my phone out and text Dan, then Ella. Dan texts back immediately asking about signs of a break-in, I tell him there were none, he calls me.

"Where is Lucifer? Chloe, i tried to be cool about it but this can't be a coincidence-"

"I suggest taking the phone off speaker now, Chloe" Lucifer chuckles interrupting Dan, who's embarrassment is now radiating from my mobile. I put the phone to my ear.

"It wasn't Lucifer" I sigh.

"How can you know that?"

"I've been with him all night if you must know." I answer, Dan clears his throat awkwardly and Lucifer giggles a little.

"okay well... Who else?"

"I have no idea, I mean we're not exactly in the line of business for making friends, are we? It could be anyone" I say, Lucifer puts a hand on my leg reassuringly.

"Well, where are you two heading?"  Dan asks, I look over at Lucifer.

"To find Maze, she is a bounty hunter after all" He says, apparently overhearing Dan's question.

"I'll text you if there's any word" Dan huffs, clearly miffed he's being shown up by Lucifer again. I hang up without thanks.

"I can't believe him! His daughter is missing and he's still acting all macho and grumpy." I sigh, dropping my phone to my lap and rubbing my eyes. Lucifer takes my hand in
his spare, pressing it to his lips lovingly.

"We will find her Chloe. I promise you." Lucifer tells me.
I take a shaky breath and nod my head.

We pull up outside Lux and jump out of the car, racing inside.
The doors swing open and Maze jumps out of her seat, startled by the abrupt noise.

"Maze, Trixie is missing" Lucifer yells, dashing ahead of me.

"Woah, slow down Lucifer-" Maze begins.

"No I will not slow down, we need to find her now, you can do it come on!" Lucifer shouts urgently, Maze shakes her head.

"Lucifer hold up-" She attempts to shout over his panicked chaos.

"Lucifer!" A small voice shouts from behind us. We whip around to see Trixie beaming at us as if nothing is wrong. Relief washes over my entire body and I kneel down to scoop her into a tight hug.

"You scared me half to death baby! What happened? Where'd you go!?" I gasp, holding her as tight as I possibly can.

"She called to ask me to pick her up, it's a weekend, I didn't think you'd mind." Maze interjects, I stand up and glance over at Lucifer, he's concerningly quiet.

"Luce? You okay?" I ask gently, squeezing his shoulder. He looks up slowly.

"I'm not ready to be a dad..." He mutters faintly. I take a breath and rub his shoulders reassuringly.

"Hey, you're great with kids, especially Trixie. You have nothing to worry about baby." I tell him firmly. I've never seen him so insecure, it's a weird change of pace.

"All this, the constant worry- I mean I felt sick thinking we'd lost her..." He grumbles, rubbing his eyes. I pull him against my chest and he wraps his arms around me tightly.

"You're not having doubts are you?" I ask quietly. Lucifer takes a shuddering breath and stands up straigh, taking my cheeks between his hands, a serious look in his eyes.

"Chloe I am as sure about this as I ever have been. We will be married." He tells me.

"Have I ever lied to you?" he asks smoothly. I take a breath and shake my head.
He brushes my hair back and kisses my forehead delicately. I reach my hand up against his rough jaw and pull his lips against mine. I feel him smile against my lips.

"I'm sorry, Trixie said you knew-" Maze sighs from behind us, I shoot a dissappointed glare at Trixie who quickly averts her eyes.

"Don't worry about it Maze. She's a tricky one. Do you mind if we leave her here? We've got a case" I smile, she nods quickly. After saying our goodbyes to Trixie and Maze we leave, hand in hand.
Lucifer opens the car door for me and I sit, watching him cross to his side.

"You freaked out" I note, smiling a little.
He frowns, starting the engine.

"The kid was missing, of course I freaked out" He shrugs. I shake my head.

"You freaked out as much as Dan did. You freaked out like a father." I grin, squeezing his leg gently.

I watch him smile slowly.

"Its funny, that's something I never wanted to be. Something I detested. Yet I find myself quite looking forward to it."