One

Sean, aged 26; Kaycee, aged 25. 

Mature theme.

Original chapter published in Short Stories.

The whole story is edited (12/05/21)

*****

"Aye! What's up, man! Glad you came!"

Noah Tratree greeted the newcomer with a handshake and a tight hug, and continued to welcome guests inside his house.

The party was in full swing; his apartment filled with old and new friends mostly from the dance community, the air reverberating with upbeat music, chattering and joyous and drunken laughter alike. Colorful neon lights swirl and danced against the walls and ceiling within the slightly dimmer house, setting the party mood.

It was the first hour of January first, and the atmosphere had calmed down from the noises and cheers in welcoming the New Year.

Julian de Guzman made his way through the crowd, eyes wandering to find his friend. Spotting him, he went over with a cup in hand, and whispered something in his ear to deliver news.

Josh Price's eyes widened slightly, looking at him. "What the fuck? Why didn't he tell us?"

Julian shrugged as he downed his drink. "You know him," face scrunching at the bitterness of the liquid. "He'd become unpredictable the past years. I don't even know what time he's coming –oh shit."

Then, Noah's voice boomed from the front door. "My, my, my. Isn't it the Sean Lew!" he yelled over the music, making heads turn. "Welcome back!"

Julian and Josh exchanged glances before taking a deep breath, watching their best friend making his way to them.

Sean was a head taller than most of the people in the room now, and nothing much changed except the prominence on his jaw and arms.

"I'm gonna go ahead and tell the others," Josh whispered to Julian and immediately went off before Sean could reach them.

Sean frowned at this, eyes following his friend as he was swallowed by the crowd. "What's up with him?" he asked as he reached Julian.

Julian shook his head. "Bathroom break," and a wide smile crept up on his face before they exchanged hugs. "Welcome back, brother. We missed you," he said, clapping his back before pulling away. "Look at you, being buff and shit. This is what happened to you after two years, huh?"

Sean shrugged, a small smile playing on his lips. "Trust me, this is all from nonstop dancing," he added.

"What, all work and no play in Japan? Didn't you at least get yourself a girl while you're there?" Julian asked rather jokingly.

Sean chuckled weakly. "No, man. How could I?" He paused, but did not address the sudden awkward silence between them. Then he turned his head around, eyes flitting all over the place, and as if Julian was imagining, he could almost see a hopeful glint in his gaze. "So. Is everybody here?" Sean asked distractedly.

Julian drank from his cup, throwing him a cautious, furtive glance. "Define everybody," he said.

"You know –"

"My guy!" Josh exclaimed as he returned to the circle, opening his arms wide and engulfing his best friend in a tight embrace, making him chuckle.

"Where the hell have you been? I thought you hated me for a while there," Sean laughed rather uneasily.

"Me? Nah, just a full bladder. Let's get you a drink?" he asked, steering him away and sending Julian a quick look.

"Wait, let me find everybody else first –"