s i x

Lady Kenna brushed her hair when her husband came in the room. She smiled and greeted him. He kissed her on the neck.

"I am so tired", Bash said as he lays on the bed. "What were you doing lately, my love?"

"I went to the midwife", Kenna answered and saw in the mirror how Bash got up to face her. He looked scared at confused as he was asking her 'How so to the midwife?'. "It is alright, Bash, it is just that... I am a little pregnant", Kenna laughed. Her husband walked quickly to her and hugged his wife. He was laughing too, kissing her on the mouth, on the cheeks.

"Thank you to the merciful Lord", Bash said and laughed again. He couldn't believe that he was going to be a father. He was never been so happy before. "Thank you to my father for forcing us to marry.", Kenna laughed. "I love you, my dear"

"I love you too, Bash!", they kissed and smiled at each other.

.....

The King and Queen of Scotland entered the ballroom. Their arrival, like always, didn't go unnoticed by anyone. The fact that Queen Mary looked magnificent tonight didn't help either. They talked to everyone and they toasted. Most of all they pretended to be happy. Or at least the Queen did. The King was actually in very good mood and didn't even suspect that his wife wasn't. Close to the end of the evening they were talking to their advisers. The situation in England still wasn't good and it seems that the politics can't wait until the next day. While the men were deep into conversation about Queen Elizabeth's strategy, Mary got more or less bored. The only one who noticed, however, was one of her youngest advisers - Lord Culpepper.

"Your Majesty, you look bored." the Lord said loud enough so the whole hall could hear him "Please, excuse us that we let this happen. I don't have better excuse for our actions other than such themes are very interesting for us, men. This doesn't mean, however, that we should forget aboout such graceful and beautiful creatures like you so easily. Please let me make it up to you with a dance." he smiled charmingly before adding "If the king doesn't mind, of course."

"No, please, go ahead." Francis faked a smile, his good mood gone in a second.

Lord Culpepper offered his hand to Mary and she took with little hesitation. As they were making their way to the dance floor she observed the situation in the room. Doubtless, everyone's attention was on them. She saw Kenna stopping her conversation with one of the Scotish Ladies, Greer whispering something into Leith's ear slighty nodding in her direction. She was trying to find someone in the room and when she did she immediately regretted it. In one of the darkest corners of the room was Queen Catherine de Medici of France, squeezing her glass tightly in her arms, glancing straight at Mary and shaking her head slowly. The hint was clear- she didn't approve this Mary's move. Her reaction was so unexpected by Mary. The Queen didn't hide that she don't trust any of her advisers. In the corner of her eye she noted Bash approaching Francis but she didn't pay attention to them. Her mind was on Catherine and only Catherine now. It wasn't her position in the dark or her shaking head that intrigued her so much. No, it were her eyes. Eyes which were full of darkness. Darkness that only the deepest betray can make. "Why? Why are you looking at me this way?! What had I done wrong this time?!" Maryal wanted to scream at her. But not a word came of her mouth. She had sank in these eyes- so dark now, but so friendly only an hour ago. Queen Catherine never removed her gaze. Not even when Mary had started paying attention to her partner after he shaked her a little to show her that music has already began.

"What caught Your attention, My Queen? It looked like you weren't even here." Lord Culpepper said leading her in the dance.

"I was just a little lost in thoughts, that is it. And please call me Mary. I can't stand these official titles any longer." she said offering him one of her best smiles.