Gala Impromptu

"Please tell me everything is ready, Malcolm." Mrs.Maybe asked out loud in a severe tone, her cheeks reddening in nervousness as she glanced around the large lavish space that was decorated in white and dark blues with golden chandeliers above casting the glow of warmth and elegance.

"Yes, mam!" The tall brooding event manager smiled in satisfaction as he looked around at his handy work. "Chef Laurant has confirmed that everything is ready and DJ Richie is on mics ready to start whenever you are." Malcolm informed with a grin now.

"Thank you, Malcolm." Mrs.Maybe sighed with relief and turned to the staff that were putting finishing touches on the tables decorated with white and gold dusted table covers with tall vases filled with black orchids spilling down and onto the tables.

"Thank you all for your hard work!" Mrs.Maybe smiled gratefully as most of the staff turned to her.

"Madam?" Miranda, her assistant extraordinaire, made herself known as she walked up to her boss. "We need to get you into hair and makeup so that your haute couture dress maybe sewn on you."

Mrs.Maybe, mother of Solano, daughter of the longest reigning mayor of Los Angeles and former Governor of California Thomas Bradbury, is worried that no matter what she does, her goal to help the homeless children in need will never be fruitful enough.

Years of planning and advocating, campaigning for such a cause haven't been enough. Women and children are still suffering all over the US and every time her sources give her the specs, her heart breaks. Knowing what it's like, having grown up not knowing when your next meal will be is something she was all to familiar with.

Cold nights, waiting to see who threw what away and then descend into the trash can to check with a growling stomach. That feeling of never ending impending doom washing over you as you waited to die of dehydration. Not being able to get the right medication when a cold came and the shivers took over your whole body.

Andrea Maybe remembered those nights well. She remembers getting pneumonia and almost dying on the street at the young age of five. If it hadn't been for Thomas Bradbury and his late wife walking the street that fateful night, Andrea was sure she wouldn't have survived.

Andrea never expected to look up into big blue eyes that looked at her with so much concern. When she awoke days later, her body felt warm and a large hand holding her own while another rubbed her arm and soft sobs surprised me.

"She's awake!" The excitement in the baritone voice followed a squeeze of my hand and the feeling of security and warmth engulfed me with such a force that I started sobbing.

If anything mattered more than her son and her father and the memory of her mother, was that no woman or child should ever have to go through what she went through. Ever.

Now, with the hard work and wealth of her adoptive father, Andrea was ready and willing to take full advantage with those in her now well developed status, to do something right with their money.

"Mam?" Miranda calls out and I'm back from the past.

"Yes, excuse me." Andrea cleared her throat as they got in the large Navigator with two bodyguards in front.

"Once we get you ready," Miranda continued as she clicked away on her phone. "Solano, will be waiting for you with his date at their table for cocktail hour after which you will be ushered to head table."

"And who is Solano bringing this time?" Andrea sighed heavily but she always asked.

"Model Naomi Sander." Miranda replied with a smirk as she continued tapping away on her phone and set it down on her lap.