Part 7

You and the alien were silent during your drive.

You were itching to ask questions, to know more, but you also peaked glances at him every once in awhile. His eyes were glued to the world around him, it was wholesome and cute. You had been chosen to show an alien your world.

When you pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store you worked at, Tom looked at you.

"This is where you work?"

You nodded at him and stepped out the car. The two of you walked to the entrance all the while a million thoughts were floating through your mind.

Maybe he wasn't ready for this. What if someone asks who he is or where he came from? What do I tell them?

However, Tom was at ease. Although he was fascinated, he didn't seem scared. You guessed that that made sense because he was used to going to other planets. You thought that was a weird thing to be used to.

After walking close to a few customers, chatting quickly to your old-coworkers. Oh, and quitting your job, you realized that no one had heard about anything weird or spaceship-y and were about ready to leave. But, suddenly as you were turning around from the counter at the pick-up center with Tom at your side, you bumped harshly into someone.

"Ow. Sorry." You said quickly.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. Are you o- Y/N?"

You looked up at the man you had run into. It was your cousin, Michael.

"Michael? Oh my gosh how are you?" You asked frantically, giving him a hug.

He smiled at you and replied saying "I'm fine, how are you doing? I haven't seen you since, what? Christmas?"

You smiled back and nodded. You hadn't realized how much you missed him. Suddenly, Michael noticed Tom standing next to you. When you finally noticed the two's confusion of the other you quickly explained, "Michael, this is my friend, Tom. Tom, this is my cousin, Michael."

Michael held out his hand to shake, but Tom just stared at him confused. You really should've taught him the proper way to greet people. After a few moments, Michael awkwardly put his hand down.

"So... how's college going?" You asked trying to break the awkwardness.

"Good, really. I finally made it into that research program I was talking about."

You nodded, remembering. There had been some space and astronomy program he was applying to.

"Oh, really? That's amazing! Congratulations!" You smiled warmly at him.

"Yeah, thanks! It's really awesome. We've been researching all these weird energies coming from the atmosphere around here throughout the last week. Something broke the atmosphere, but we can't seem to figure out what."

You and Tom glanced at each other. "That's weird..."

"Do you know where these energies are coming from exactly?" Tom asked. You elbowed him slightly, trying to tell him 'hey, don't be too obvious'

He squinted his eyes at Tom, but only for a moment. "Not exactly sure, but we are getting strong readings from Brentwood State Park."

"Thank you," Tom said politely before walking away towards the exit.

"Tom, wait!" You jogged a few paces to catch up with him. "Where are you going?"

"Brentwood State Park." He said as though it was obvious.

"Okay, well, just give me one second. And then we can go." You said, trying to get him to slow his horses. I'm geez, I know he's in a rush, but...

He waited while you jogged back over to Michael. "Is he okay?" Michael asked peeking around you at the alien.