Return

(Reader's P.O.V.)

After a period of time, they gave up the search for Shadow. No body was found but he was declared dead anyway. The funeral was held today. An empty casket lay open with a picture of him in it. Everyone was putting flowers or objects in it. Things that meant a lot to him. Among those objects, I put a locket with Maria in it. I thought it'd be nice to take it with him when he meets her again. I'm trying my hardest not to be sad. I grip the silver ring tied around my neck in an attempt to comfort myself as I hear footsteps approach from behind. "I heard about what happened (Y/N). You must feel pretty bad right now." I turn to see an old friend, a black cat named Axel. "Long time no see huh... I suppose this isn't the best place for friendly reunions. It's nice to see you again Axel." He smiles lightly but I can see the concern in his eyes. He's worried about me. Everyone is. I just lost the love of my life just a few days after getting engaged. "Are you feeling okay (Y/N)? If you need, you're always welcome to spend the night at my place. I don't want you to feel like you're trapped in that apartment." "I'm not. I appreciate the offer but I'd rather be alone. I still need time to process everything." Eventually, we all watch as the empty casket is lowered and buried. I tried to stay strong and waited until everyone left before I finally broke down in tears. Why him? Why of all the people in the world, did we have to lose him?

(Mephiles' P.O.V.)

I managed to go back 300 years in time. I escaped my imprisonment and now I'm going to make sure I stay that way. Using the tattered cloak to cover my head I walk through the field of tombstones. I hear the sound of crying and locate its owner. A lone (C/T) woman with (H/L) (H/C) hair wearing black. I take a glance at the tombstone she's kneeling in front of. 'Here Lies Shadow the Hedgehog'. Shadow? It's been years since I've seen that name. He's perished? The woman in front of this stone must've been close with him. Though I have no care for Shadow or this woman, this does present an opportunity. Taking on his form I force my quills to turn black and red. My eyes may be a little off but, as long as I look like him, I'm sure my trick will work.

(Reader's P.O.V.)

I feel as if I've cried myself dry when I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see him standing over me. I'm not sure if it was an illusion made from grief or if he was genuinely in front of me but I didn't care. I jumped up and hugged him crying even more than I did before. "Don't leave me alone anymore..."