AH..... ROMANCE

mention of alcohol, mental illness, drugs, and abuse. this is a trigger warning. please do not read ahead if you'll be negatively affected.

chapter twenty-one

"call me a psychopath, but i prefer creative"

_

Wren cuddled up in the sheets of Campbell's bed, reverently tracing her fingers along the indents of the mattress. She had her cheek to the pillows, and her back to Campbell, who sat in an aged chair from across the room. 

"Will you tell me what you used?"

Wren halted her motions and rolled onto her left side to get a look at his expression. "For what?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Wrennie."

"I'm not."

Campbell closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose with his thumb, remaining silent. Wren chose not to add another pathetic statement onto her list of denials, encouraging the tense quietude between the two. After what seemed like forever, Campbell finally leaned back in his chair to speak, "I was never afraid of anything. And I mean- anything. But now... I'm afraid of you."

"You're afraid of me?" Wren abruptly sat up, slightly flustered at her love's comment. 

"You tried to kill me."

She began to vigorously shake her head, cringing at the words leaving Campbell's mouth. "No, you've got it wrong."

"Wren--"

"I tried to save you." She stood up and quickly moved over to where campbell sat, kneeling down in front of him and intertwining his hands with her own.

"Save me? From what?"

"I just want to be with you. Think about it--  In the other world, we'd be immortal. We'd never die. Together forever, Campbell. Imagine it." Strangely, he smiled, and she reciprocated it, lifting a hand to caress the side of his face. "Don't you get it? We're the same." 

"I had no idea you had that in you."

"But you made us leave the house. You gave everyone else that opportunity, instead of us. I wanted it to be us." She lowered her hand back into her lap, and let her eyes fall to the ground. In a twisted way, she'd become jealous of those who'd gotten sick. 

"What if I make it up to you?" Campbell took her hand and helped her onto her feet, standing alongside her. He pulled her to the center of the room, and the two joined together in a coupled stance, slow dancing to an imaginary song in their heads.

"How?" 

"I'll give you the chance to redo it. We'll play God, together. I'll give the whole town to you, and everyone in it."

She rested her head in the crook of his shoulder and grinned. "I'd like that."

a/n -- since this is such a short chapter, i'm uploading another one in a few hours. but savor it, cause the next chapter is the LAST ONE in the book !!