Chapter Five

A few hours later, once the sun had risen, Bucky came out of his room to discover he wasn't the only one who hadn't slept. In fact, it looked to him as if Ava hadn't moved a muscle all night. Sighing, he walked over to her, the sound both alerting her to his presence and causing her to jump because of it.

He watched her eyes widen in fright and slowed his pace, putting a soft smile on his face. It was clear she'd taken his soft noise of displeasure as him being upset, and her the cause. Despite how tense she was he took a seat on the coffee table facing her, noticing how tightly she was gripping the blanket, as if fearing he'd take it.

"Morning, kiddo...." He greeted softly, smile never leaving his face in hopes it would put her at ease. So far, it wasn't really working. "Did you end up getting any sleep?" He asked gently, and he could see it in her eyes she was debating lying to him. After all, he'd suggested she sleep, and in her mind not doing so was disobeying. After a few seconds, she shook her head softly, afraid of what he'd do.

Ava flinched violently when he raised his hand, fully expecting Bucky to hit her. She was surprised, not to mention relieved, when all he did was run a hand through his hand. Bucky's heart broke at her reaction but he didn't show it, because of the fact that she already thought she was in trouble. "It's alright sweetheart, neither did I." He murmured softly, slowly putting his hand back down on his lap. She couldn't help the light tremble that had returned, along with her wide, frightened eyes. He didn't seem to be mad at her, but... What if it was a trick? Something to lure her into a false sense of security? Yes, that was really how she thought at nine. She had to.

"Ava?" He started softly, pulling her attention back to him and out of her mind. "There's no wrong answer to this, alright? Do you want me to make some breakfast?" He asked, watching her carefully but gently. Ava whimpered once, curling in tighter on herself, but dared to shak her head. Bucky smiled, genuinely, because he was happy she had given him an answer other than the one she thought he wanted to hear. "That's perfectly fine, sweetheart. I'll just make some for me. That alright?" Ava nodded again slowly, confused and afraid, and shrinking back when Bucky stood up. He just smiled, moving slowly over to the kitchen, wanting to reach down to her but deciding agiainst it so he wouldn't scare her further.

Ava peeked over the back of the couch hesitantly as she heard him pull things out, and she just watched silently as he cooked. He seemed happy, nice even, but that almost scared her more than if he was just plain horrible like her parents. How long until he stopped being nice? In this situation, it was totally a fear of the unknown, plus a fear of the horrors that were known to her.

He'd just put a few things on to cook as he leaned on the counter when he heard the knock, glancing over to watch Ava tense and turn to look at the door, but when Bucky got into her line of sight again he nodded and smiled reassuringly. He hoped it was Wanda and no one else, because he really didn't think Ava could handle anyone else. She could barely handle Wanda and himself as it was. He smiled in relief when he opened the door to find it was the Sokovian indeed, but when he glanced down at the bags in her hands he raised an eyebrow.

"I come bearing gifts." She smiled softly, looking up at Bucky. "You going to let me in?" Bucky chuckled softly, stepping to the side so Wanda could come in. Her eyes quickly landed on Ava and she smiled, setting her bags down as she stepped closer. "Hello, sweetheart." She murmured, not disheartened when Ava didn't reply. She wasn't expecting it anyway. She knew they'd need to be patient and understanding, which she could certainly do. "I brought you some things.... Would you like me to show you?"

Ava stared at her nervously for a moment before glancing up at Bucky who'd walked up beside Wanda. He nodded in encouragement and she gulped, looking back up at Wanda and giving a shaky nod. Wanda smiled widely, crouching down to her bags. Ava watched with wide eyes as she pulled item after item out of the bag; Clothes, toys, colouring books and more were laid out on Bucky's living room floor for Ava to see. Wanda had even gotten some bath toys for her, though she didn't understand that was what they were.

"What do you think?" She asked softly, smiling up at Ava. Bucky had moved to sit next to her, surprised she'd allowed it, and he was smiling too. He met Wanda's eyes and his eyes were grateful, because there was no way he'd know what to get. The clothes all looked like they'd fit her too, which was perfect. "This is all for you, kiddo." Bucky murmured, nodding when she looked up at him for confirmation. It was what convinced Wanda that Ava did trust Bucky, at least a little, because she kept looking to him for confirmation, permission. Yes, it was severly backed up by fear, but there was something else too.

She didn't know how to react, honestly. This was more than she'd ever had in her life, even before she ran away. "T-Thank you..." She whispered, surprising everyone including her. She gulped at the silence, slowly begining to panic as she worried she wasn't supposed to say anything, before they both smiled to put her at ease. "You're more than welcome, sweetheart." She murmured.

"Would you let her give you a bath, love? I'm sure you'd like to get clean and into some cleaner clothes..." Bucky asked softly, knowing it might go over better if he was the one to suggest it. Ava's eyes widened and she looked up at him, but she assumed she didn't have a choice. She did, of course, but how could she know that? So, looking back at Wanda, she gave a nervous nod. She didn't want to, and Wanda could see that, so she'd have to be gentle with her. "Thank you, little one. I only want to help, like Bucky." She promised, reaching a hand out slowly. She held it there, letting Ava reach to her when she was ready.

It took a few hesitant moments, but eventually Ava did reach out a trembling hand to place it in Wanda's. She didn't want to be bad, get in trouble, so she couldn't resist. Wanda smiled gently and stood, reaching down to gently pick Ava up. The poor girl tensed and whimpered, gripping on to Bucky without thinking, and Bucky put a hand up to stop Wanda. She paused, watching as Bucky sofly calmed Ava down, then picked her up himself. He nodded minutely at Wanda and she smiled, grabbing a few things from her piles and going into the bathroom to run a warm bath.

Ava pressed into Bucky while he walked and he rubbed her arm gently, murmuring soft reassurances to her to keep her calm. She was significantly less freaked out with Bucky, but he knew he'd need to leave her with Wanda. That was Wanda's battle to fight, but he didn't doubt her. She knew more about this than he did anyways. Bucky set her on the counter gently, smiling at her again and promising her he'd be right outside once more before he left them to it, shutting the door quietly behind him.

Wanda had put a sweetly scented bubble-bath in the tub, though she had a feeling she'd have to change the water at least once. She was sitting on the edge of the tub, smiling softly, though she didn't come any closer. She needed to let Ava adjust to being alone with her first, she knew that, and respected it. The little girl in question refused to take her eyes off of Wanda, watching for any move that might threaten her, and desperately hoping if she screamed Bucky would come help her. Eventually, the tub was full and the water got shut off, and Wanda turned to Ava with a gentle smile. "Are you ready, little one?" She asked softly, and patiently waiting until Ava finally nodded before standing.

With a lot of whimpering and fear involved, though with Wanda being as gentle and she possibly could, she got Ava out of her filthy, ripped clothes and into the bath tub. This time, when she had to be picked up she kept much calmer, though still terrified. She shivered a little as her cold body adjusted to the warmpth of the water. One refil, a fair deal of pain, Bucky knocking to check in and reassure and about an hour later, Ava was clean, warm, and dressed in soft, comfortable clothes just her size. Wanda opened the door and Bucky stood from his seat, a wide smile spreading on his face. He walked inside to help Ava out, and she looked so different like this. He set her down on the couch again with Wanda trailing close behind them after draining the bath, smiling down at her. "Feel better?" He asked softly, and she nodded. He could've sworn he nearly saw a smile, but she forced it away before he could be sure.

He'd finished cooking while they were in there, and he'd made more than enough for the three of them if the girls decided they wanted to eat. Well, if Wanda hadn't eaten yet. He had just opened his mouth to offer it when another knock sounded at the door, and he frowned. "Jarvis, who's at the door?" He asked uncertainly, biting his lip and groaning at the reply.

"It's Mr. Stark, Sir."