Chapter 1- I Promise My Life

I gulp, regaining my focus. I'm fine. This is fine.

It's hard, but I'll manage.

It's just a big house. It won't be any good towards my paranoia, but these people need me. These parents need me. They need someone to help take care. Someone there to remind them that their home is safe. That their... "son" is safe.

They simply needed a nanny for a while. I saw no reason to deny. Tragedies happen left and right, but the best they could do is move on. And if they chose to move on through a... a resemblance of their own child, then so be it.

Everyone grieves differently. Who would I be to judge that?

"If you promise to take care of him, as if he were your own... your pay will be increased." Mrs. Heelshire said with slight worry in her words.

"Increased?" I asked, sliding a piece of my hair behind my ear. "You're already paying me quite the amount, Miss! There's no need to-"

"Nonsense!" Mrs. Heelshire raised her voice a bit, forcing me to stop.

"You couldn't be paid enough for this, my dear." Mr. Heelshire said to me. He still had that look in his eyes. A look that showed pure sadness and pity. And that pity felt directed towards me.

"I'm only taking care of a.... of your son. I would've imagined only a few dollars per hour." I responded.

"Please.. you have no idea of what awaits you, my dear." He said, his voice slightly shaking.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask him.

Mrs. Heelshire then takes a step closer to me. "Nothing. Just an old fool rambling." She says with a simple smile.

Mr. Heelshire sighs as he stares at me with a serious, dulled, pained look. As if there's something... big that he needs to tell me.

He takes in a deep inhale and closes his eyes. As he slowly let's go of the air, he opens his eyes and looks to the ceiling.

"Be good to him and he'll be good to you." Mr. Heelshire says, the seriousness in his eyes giving me a shiver down my spine.

"Be bad to him and-"

"Oh..." Mrs. Heelshire stops him and lays her hand on his shoulder. "She will be good to him.. Won't you Miss Y/N?" She asks me; her too, with a sense of eerie-ness being held behind her eyes.

They both then stare at me, waiting for my answer. My eyes shift between them back and forth, until they land on Brahms.

"Yes." I answer, looking up from the doll and at Mrs. Heelshire.

"I'll treat him like my own." I reply, unable to ask Mr. Heelshire what the consequences were of Brahms being treated wrongly.

Mr. Heelshire keeps his stare at me and nods very slowly. Somethings not right.

But yet again, I can't ask. Mrs. Heelshire hands me Brahms, tears clearly threatening her to be revealed. I assumed she'd go in for a last kiss or hug until she sees him again, but she moves past him and leans in towards me. She brings her face close to my ear, as if she hadn't wanted anyone to hear her next words.

"I'm so sorry." She whispers slowly and shakily.

And they leave. No further words or movements. They don't even look back. Not even a glance.

The door closes and I hear the engine of the Taxi start up, and the sounds of the tires rolling slowly creeps away.

I look at Brahms and smile at him. "You're just like any other boy. And that's how you'll be treated." I say with a sincere smile. He's not just a doll.

I'm also used to playing pretend. And if I'm going to be alone for such a long time, I'll need someone to talk to. And from the looks of it, Brahms is all I have.

_____

(Due to many requests from friends and fans, I'll be writing  this story further! There'll be a new chapter (or more than one) out tomorrow!!! I'm very happy you all enjoy it so far! 💕💕)