addy

ADDY felt sadness well up in her heart as she read of the loss of a charitable man that had dedicated his house, life and riches to seven young, unwanted children whom he claimed would save the world.

Absorbed in the news article, she didn't notice him until she had collided with the man.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it I swear, let m-"

In her panicked state, she didn't notice as vines grew through the cracks in the cobble of the street and continued to not realise their existence as they started gathering the man's stuff.

He looked up at her, and raised an eyebrow.

"Were you, by any chance, born October 1st 1989?" he smirked knowingly.

She nodded hesitantly. "Yessir. If- if you don't mind me asking, how did you know that?"

She extended an arm to help the man up. He didn't accept it, instead leaping up and dusting himself off, taking his belongings from the vines. She frowned. He was decked head to toe in a superhero costume, pure black with tool belts, and his belongings consisted of a phone, a wallet and knives.

"My name is Diego Hargreeves. I think you should come with me."

"Right, yeah," she breathed. "Of course. I'm so sorry about your dad, I-"

"Save it," he said, holding a hand up to silence her. "He wasn't my father. What's your name?"

"Addy, I mean, Adelaide, sorry- Adelaide Sanderson, pleased to meet you. Please, um, call me Addy."

Diego smiled in understanding. Addy was surprised. Usually, people made fun of the girl for stumbling over her words. This man seemed kind, kinder than she would expect from a famous superhero with a rich dad.

"Alright, Addy. Let's go to the Academy."

The ride was short, and filled with conversation and laughter. Diego parked, and entered the building.

It reminded Addy of her uncle's manor in England. There were old portraits decorating the walls, and an eerie feel to the place.

"Thank you," she said to Diego.

"What for?" he asked.

Addy simply smiled. "Lead the way, Mr Hargreeves- I mean Diego."