Journey 07

0 7

The Greatest Contender

Blurry memories of Sun resurfaced as Aciel walked behind his familiar silhouette. Back during his time at the palace, Sun had his hair in the same neat topknot with it being black instead of blonde. Aside from a few greetings, Aciel didn't remember any interactions with Sun as the older man was always busy or by his mother's side.

"Hello Miss Rine, could I trouble you for a few minutes?" The group had arrived at the lodgings Sun had previously suggested.

"Hello, oh my." A young lady in a simple ruqun, a blouse and wrap skirt, greeted the three before seeing the bandits that followed Eden.

"I have sent for the guards to collect these five here."

"I see. Would you three like some tea?"

"Actually, these two are guests of mine. Would you happen to have a free room for them?"

"For three or for two?"

"Two, I must return to the shrine." Aciel was surprised at this comment. Sun noticed and turned to him and said, "You two should rest. I will come by in the morning."

After the guards collected the bandits with the promise to properly punish them, Eden and Aciel could finally relax in their room. As Sun's guests and the people who aided in dealing with the bandits, the room Rine had prepared came with a private bath.

"Eden," Aciel asked as they finished their dinner. "What do you know about Sun? I do not think I ever talked to him."

"He was your mother's top official, an advisor and a strategist. Before that, he and his brother, Cao, trained in the Irie Family, learning their sword styles. His late brother was adopted into the Irie Family to succeed as the head when Sun left the swordsman life to be a tactician."

"Do you know how he came to be mother's official?"

Eden rubbed her chin as she started to recount what she learned about him. Eight years after he disappeared, Sun was still a popular topic in the military. Those who served under him spoke fondly of his tactics and there was a small group dedicated to immortalising his strategies so others could learn.

"I believe the late queen picked him herself. He served in the army here in Au Inden, where his tactics became well known. She came and offered him a position in Vatou as her aide. He left to fight in the front lines of the war as a strategist. When your mother passed, Sun left his position and disappeared."

"Did she just offer him a position? Was there anything else? Did father offer him anything to stay?"

"I'm not sure. My knowledge about Sun is just what I heard from my teachers and soldiers. I was never the one around him." Eden tried her best to not mention Zula by name. "Why?"

"He left for a reason. I need to find what mother did to make him join and what father did to make him leave."

Surprised that Aciel thought that far ahead, Eden simply said, "I supposed we just have to ask him."

"One more question. How long did you know Tzu-Wu was actually Sun?"

"It was only confirmed when I saw him wield that sword. The Irie Family's style is very distinctive and cannot be copied just by looking." She said from experience. "Even those trained in the style will take years to master it."