Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Wolf lends me every ounce of energy that she can. I've never run so fast in my life.

The werewolves are on either side of us, closing in, the rest coming up from behind. I can't go any faster than this with both of them on my back. And even if we get away from the werewolves, the vampires are out there too.

Run. Don't think. Run, Wolf chides.

But it's hard to think when I've got at least four werewolves all talking and growling in my head. They've got us. We're not going to get away.

Then the weight on my back is suddenly halved and I'm running even quicker. I turn back and see River has jumped off.

"He's gone! He jumped! He's gone!" the woman yells.

What the hell is he doing? He thinks he's going to slow them down? It's suicide. He can't take them on his own. He'll die and they'll still catch us. He'll die alone, like Julien. He died alone. He knew he was going to die. I can't let River go through that.

I stop and shift back so suddenly that the woman flips over my head and I go tumbling forward with her.

"You're going to leave me," she whimpers, grabbing hold of my shoulders.

I help her off the ground, and she acts as though my touch burns her.

"I can't," I yell. "I can't leave him! I won't run!"

The woman collapses to the ground and buries her face in her hands. There's nothing else I can say to her. I sprint back towards River, the voices in my head roaring about the binder that killed the others.

Tear the skin from his body!

Rip off his limbs!

Eat him alive!

They're screaming so loudly. They're almost there. We have to save him.

River stands just ahead of me, a werewolf charging towards him. I won't make it in time. Not on my human feet.

I need you, I say.

Wolf is there. She is me and then I am her. We race on four feet to him, already focused on the throat of the werewolf. We are there, latched on and sinking our teeth into him. I don't care anymore. It's kill or be killed. This is how the world is. I'll kill them all.

"Falon no!" River yells.

The werewolf squeals beneath us, but we bite down harder. There's a sharp pain in my back. Another werewolf is on top of us, trying to tear us off of the other's throat. We let go and grab hold of his front leg, swinging him into the one beneath us.

A reddish-colored werewolf is running for River.

Don't touch him! You touch him, you die! I scream at her.

You're not one of us! Get out of my head you bitch! she screams back, circling around River.

We make a run at her, snarling and growling and barring as many of our teeth at her as we can. She immediately backs off, and I move so that my side is touching River.

"Falon... It's over now," he says.

A werewolf with a blue stripe approaches with another four werewolves in tow. Cara.

Cara, she was human! She changed, but it wasn't our change! It's the fast male that almost got River. What is she?

I'm a soul binder! I yell.