Chapter 13

"How long do you plan to read?"

"As long as I want, Shivaay ." I mumbled, not drawing my eyes away from the book and I could feel his intense staring across the table.

"Donʼt you have somewhere to be?"

"Damn, now I kinda wish I never showed you this place and no, we have somewhere to be, remember?"

"Donʼt be too surprised if I moved in here."
"Letʼs hope you donʼt take it that far." His words dripped in sarcasm, his blue green gleaming at the thought and I simply rolled my eyes before returning my gaze back on my book.

Itʼs already been three days and Iʼve done nothing but visit the library often, more than I should to be honest, but I couldnʼt help myself. Books were my daily dose of happiness.

"Gauri , come on now, we have to go or else weʼll be late."

"God, canʼt I just stay? Swimming is one thing but a beach party? No, Iʼll pass."

"Not like you have a choice anyways, Omkara going to drag you, one way or another, you know that right?" I groaned and looked at Shivaay  as he placed his lower arms on the table with a grin.

I sighed in annoyance and decided to keep reading.

"Speaking of Omkara , can I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"About Ishana and him..." I started and I watched Shivaay bite his bottom lip hesitantly before leaning against the chair while shaking his head, clearly not liking where this conversation was going but I didnʼt care.

"Were they like, I donʼt know...happy together?"

"I am not supposed to talk about it."
"Come on, just tell me? I promise I wonʼt say anything."

"No, if Omkara wanted to tell you, he wouldʼve have done so himself and I am in no position to-god, no." Shivaay muttered at the end when I stood up and walked up to him, sitting right next to him.

"I want to know, Shivaay, itʼs bothering me."

"Well I canʼt, alright? Itʼs his private matters and I canʼt disrespect that."

"Itʼs not even like that, Shivaay ." I whined and groaned when he shook his head and turned away, resting his head on the table, extending one of his hands in the process.

"Come on, just tell me?"

"Why do you have to nag so much?" I huffed at his words and went silent for a while.

"It didnʼt seem like he was happy with her. I could mention her name and heʼd get mad-"

"Gauri , he was in love with her. They were in love, alright?" Shivaay looked up and it didnʼt even take seconds for my heart to drop all the way to my stomach.

"Omkara wasnʼt Omkara when he was with her. He was different, kinder, caring and didnʼt even have temper issues back then, and thatʼs saying a lot.

He never lashed out or hurt anyone unless he had to." The lump on my throat tightened as he kept going on.

"He was just...different." Vincent finished with a sigh and for the next few seconds, I just sat in silence, my mind slowly accepting the reality.

He was in love with her. He was different around her. He was a better person when he was with her.

So why does he act the complete opposite around me?

How does he see me?

Why hasnʼt he shown his good side to me?

The answer to my questions were all too simple, no matter how I add them up.