Chapter 11: Callie

I squeeze my eyes shut and scrunch up my nose, willing myself to turn around and face the one person I seemingly cannot get away from.

Before I have a chance to turn around, I spot a bottle of vodka on the table where we were playing our game. If I'm going to do this, might as well not remember the embarrassment that'll happen tomorrow. I take a long pull from the bottle, and revel in each burn that washes down my throat.

I hear someone clearing their throat, and when I open my eyes and put the bottle down, nearly every eye at this party is on me. To ease the tension, Rob screams "LET'S FUCKING GO," as he proceeds to chug his beer faster than I can blink. Everyone cheers, the music cranks up, and within seconds, the effects of the alcohol hit me.

What it doesn't prepare me for, is how my entire world stops the second I turn around and lock eyes with Beckett. I can't handle how he makes me feel, so I look to his feet. I notice that he has expensive looking athletic sneakers on, with black Nike socks pulled to his calf. I smile at the ground, because he gets more casual every time I see him, and therefore becomes more of an anomaly to me.

"Look at me, Callie. I don't bite" his voice softly commands.

I comply, but as slowly as possible. I continue assessing each part of his outfit to stall for more time. Black khaki shorts that are exactly like what nearly every other college boy here is wearing - aside from the color. He even differs in his shirt choice.
While most of the guys have T-shirts or Polos on, Beckett has a black and teal button down on. I count the three buttons he has undone to reveal his tanned chest.

He has a lazy smile on his face and when I meet his eyes they're slightly reddened and heavy lidded. So I say the first thing that pops into my head: "Oh my, you are so high right now!" Subsequently, I want to disappear into the floor. This guy is extremely important to my dad and his business and I just accused him of doing illegal drugs! What if he just has really bad allergies or something? My God, I am the worst!

I begin to apologize, but I'm halted by Beckett's arm touching the small of my back. He laughs, and without answering my question, guides me towards the kitchen. Wordlessly, I go. I have no explanation for why I feel such a connection to someone I just met. It's not necessarily sexual - because while I am attracted to him, I feel more of a pull to his presence.

Before I lose myself in drunken thought, he grabs us both beers (he actually grabs himself two), and flicks the cap off of each one. He hops onto the counter and takes a long pull of his drink, without breaking eye contact with me. He's too intense, and I don't know what he wants with me. He knows about Colton, and we've only just met. So why does he look at me like I'm his own personal puzzle to solve?