K for Knowledge

Amber had no clue of how much time she spent staring into empty space, as she sat behind of an ambulance. Still in shock, she shivered at the thought of what she faced just 15 minutes ago.

      Medics performed basic examinations on her, as one cop asked her to recite the whole incident. She tried her best to state everything, but in her mind it was a lot more horrifying.

     At the corner of her eye, she saw someone approaching nearer in a hurry. He was not stopping.

     "Amber... are you okay?!" Ray hugged into her tightly as he finally closed upon her. She was taken by surprise, but she needed this so much... someone to embrace.

    She didn't want him to know that she did though, and after he admitted that he didn't trust her. She whispered, "Yeah.. yeah, I'm fine.."

     He lifted his head, his hands holding her from her shoulders. He turned to face a medic near by. "Is she okay? Is she lying?"

      "She is alright... just a little bruise on the left temple ...." Medic answered, smiling.

      " What.. you still don't trust me? "Amber rolled her eyes, almost pushing Ray's hands away.

       " No , no... "Ray murmured, as he cupped her face from one hand. Then his fingers touched the area on her face where it was light purple. Amber let out a tiny gasp as the pain turned though an itch into healing as he lightly rubbed it. He looked into her eyes.
" I'm so sorry...."

      Ray sat next to her, as the police men finished searching throughout the apartment building. They were examining with their search dogs and torches in haste.

    " There's no sign of the attacker... He must have escaped through the fire escape, just before police got here." Moby said, looking at Amber.

       Mokshit was surely feeling a bit guilty for accusing Amber earlier today. He had apologised, saying it was all Finlay's idea and that he was just pointing out the odds. Amber told him that she totally understood and she would've done the same if she was in his shoes.

    Ray squinted as he mused. "Why didn't he use a gun this time?... Most of the times he did..."

    "And he tried to choke you...." Moby too was perxpled. He tilted his head, "... Was trying to stage a suicide?"

***
     They were at the police station. Moby had informed Ray that another two kids from the Newcastle High had replied to their massages and that maybe through them, they might gain some new details.

     Moby dialed one number and put it on speaker for everyone to hear.

    "Hello ... Mr. Quillon Zacharias? This is detective Mokshit Singh from Cheyenne police station... "

    "Yes.. detective... What can I do for you?" a deep voice asked.

   After asking some basic information from the caller and about the foster house case, Moby moved to some unanswered questions.

    "Mr. Zacharias... Tell me about this Kiara... were you a close friend of her?"

     Quillon hesitated. "No ... not at all..."

     "Can you remember who her allies were?" Moby looked at Amber as if for an approval. She nodded in acceptance. " What was her relationship with Amber Chapman ?"

    "Amber.." Quillon mused for a second. "Amber, yeah I remember her.." he muttered. "...they were like best friends... Lived in the same house and stuff... But we got to know later, that they had been in a relationship as well.."
    "so were they in a relationship when it happened?"