Chapter 11

"MJ?" Peter says in shock, seeing his friend be introduced as the teacher.
"Hey, Peter."
"What are you doing?"
MJ looks to the ground. "I'm in college, Peter. I graduated last year."
Peter's in shock. What would Tony do in this situation? Did he ever have this situation? No. He didn't. He was here. He never had to catch up. He's gone now. He's gone. Peter can't handle himself anymore. Thinking about too many things, Peter gets out of his seat and runs out. He can't. He can't handle all the change. All the memories. He was dead for five years. Five. But Tony will be gone forever. 
"Peter!" Ned runs out the door right behind his friend. "Peter, what the hell is up with you?
"I... I can't." Peter runs out the high school entrance, aiming for one place: the Stark home. He doesn't care about school anymore. Everyone that he loves has suffered, and he couldn't do anything. He did nothing, even as a hero. Spider-Man didn't help anyone. No one. Spider-Man is useless, and Peter knew it. "I can't do this anymore," Peter thinks to himself, and decides that he has to be done. He has to give up. Nothing he does helps. He keeps running until collapsing to the ground.

"Peter?" Pepper exclaims in disbelief. "Peter, it's Monday. What are you doing here?" She looks at Peter, sitting on the ground outside, breaking down internally and externally. 
"I... I'm done." Peter tries to look up at the woman he thinks of as his mother, but he can't. "I can't do this anymore."
"Do what?"
"I... I don't know..."
"Peter!" a familiar voice exclaims happily. "Peter, why are you crying?"
"Morgan..." Peter can't look at his sister either. "Sister? What's wrong with me?" he thinks to himself, "I have to stop thinking that way. I have to stop."
"Let's go play, Peter! Oh wait, it's lunch time! Mommy, can we get cheeseburgers?"
Pepper glances softly at her daughter, who she knows is oblivious to this whole situation. "Of course we can, Morgan. Peter, come inside."

"So why are you here, Peter?" Morgan asks the boy innocently, walking into her home. She has no idea what happened five years ago, and Pepper doesn't plan to tell her until many years from now. "Did you miss me?" the girl smirks.
"I did, and I wanted to spend time with the next super-hero," Peter laughs and picks up the toddler, placing her atop his shoulders, "Iron Morgan!" 
Pepper, while dialing the food delivery service, stops and watches the events take place, tears in her eyes. She doesn't know what was so magical about her daughter, but there is definitely something about her. 
"Mommy, is everyone crying today?"
She snaps out of her daze. "No, Morguna, I was yawning. Peter, take her to another room, will you? I'm working on something important."
"Oh, sure, Mrs. Stark... Ms. Potts? Um, sure."
Pepper laughs. "Just Pepper. It's okay, Peter."

"Mrs Stark... God, what's my problem with... humanity?" Peter thinks to himself as he takes Morgan to her bedroom, a mortified look on his face.
"Peter?" Morgan looks up to her brother.
"Yes?" he responds, sitting down on the floor with the girl.
"Can you tell me a story?"
"I don't know that I can today, Morgan..." Peter sighs. Knowing that he failed, that his friends grew up, that May is struggling after these five years, all of this- keeps him from truly being himself. 
"I can tell a story!" Morgan responds with enthusiasm. "Once upon a time, there was a boy, and his name was Peter, and he was the best brother ever, and he was Spider-Man, so he was extra cool! The end!"
"Morgan, tell me what you want on your cheeseburger!" Pepper calls from out the hall. 
"Okay, I'll be right back! Don't leave!" Morgan gives Peter a look of seniority over the boy before running out to her mother.
"Best brother ever?" Peter murmurs to himself. She had never said that before. Not in real life, that is. "What... how? Why?" He remembers the bullet Morgan took. He remembers running out when Pepper made a small mistake. "Why do these people care for me so much? They should hate me..." Peter, yet again, breaks down. With everything going on, he can't do anything other than this. He ran away from school. He bothered the Starks. "What next, rob a bank?" he wonders. His chest starts to feel tight, and he starts struggling to breathe. His vision blurs more and more the more he panics. But then, his heart starts to go faster and faster, and Peter screams in pain and fear, things getting darker and darker.

"Peter, I swear to God, if you pass out one more time..." Pepper's voice comes into Peter's consciousness. 
"What happened?"
"Panic attack, Peter. Ever had one before?"
"Uh... no..." Peter remembers what he was thinking about. "I'm sorry! I'll never bother you again!"
"What?" Pepper changes her gaze from a loving one to a concerned one. "What do you mean?"
"It's all my fault." Peter looks to the ground.
"Peter, I don't know what you're talking about this time, but-"
"Morgan got shot. I came here unannounced. I ran out when you said something the wrong way. And I couldn't save Dad!"
"What did you say?" Pepper gives the boy an oblivious look, but under her soft gaze, she feels pride. He loves them, and she finally knew that. 
"I- I said..." Peter stutters, realizing what he said. "I couldn't save Tony. Why do you put up with me if I've done so many bad things, Mrs... Ms..." His tone shifts from embarrassment to worry and frustration with himself. His actions have sunk in, and he's made some terrible mistakes. He can't hurt anyone else. He just can't. His heart sinks, thinking of how he's hurt his family.
"Peter, you never intentionally did any of those things. Plus, you probably saved Morgan's life! Did you ever think about that? And, coming here unannounced..."
"You hate it. I'll stop coming. Sorry-"
"You didn't let me finish! Listen, we like you!" Pepper exclaims with intensity. "We... I... like it when you come. Coming unannounced isn't a bad thing. It's your gut reaction, and I'm honored that it is." Pepper smiles softly, her eyes getting wetter and wetter. "We like you, and nothing can change that, Peter. You know that, right?" She looks into the boy's droopy, tired eyes.
"Mommy! The cheeseburgers!"
Pepper gets up quickly. "Peter, I have something to show you. Wait right here."