Chapter 2

I was still thinking about what Holly said as I walked into the visiting room. There wasn't any way she could be right. I didn't like Markus.

I was wearing a nice blouse that was blue, a pair a skinny jeans and a pair of sandles. My magenta hair was curled and put up into a half ponytail, the rest falling down to the center of my back.

"Anna!"

I looked up and smiled. Markus beat me to the visiting room this time.

I ran to him. When I was close enough, I jumped into his arms as he caught me. We hugged each other for a few more seconds then he put me down.

We went to sit on the couch they had put in the visiting room. I sat Indian style, facing him as he leaned back against the arm of the couch with a leg propped on his other leg.

"I still don't understand why your parents had to choose a mental hospital four hours away. My back is killing me for sitting that long in my car." He joked.

I smiled. "You're graduating in four months."

Markus is a year older than me. He's in his senior year year of high school.

"Yeah. Hopefully, Doctor Elijah lets you come see."

"Well, even if he doesn't, I get out of here in a year so you can act it out for me." I joked.

"Ha! No way, You've seen my acting skills."

"Yeah, you suck." I laughed as he pretended to be offended, then laughed with me.

Once our laughter died down, we sat in a comfortable silence.

Then he cleared his throat. "So, listen...School's out for the next month..."

"And...?"

"Well, I've been talking to this girl and we agreed that when the month long vacation came around, that we'd spend it together." He said

"Are you guys...Dating?" I mumbled.

He hesitated. "I dunno. We've kissed a few times and we've gone out a couple times. So...Yeah, I guess."

I felt kind of sick, or short of breath. Like I'd just been punched in the stomach.

"Why're you telling me this though?"

"Because I won't be able to visit you next month. I didn't want you freaking out when I didn't show up."

"Just because I'm in a mental institution and I'm being forced to take meds I don't need, doesn't mean I'm that sensitive, Markus." I said angrily.

"That is not what I meant and you know it. I've been visiting you since you've been committed I just meant it might be a little weird not seeing me everyday for a month." He said as he frowned.

"I'll survive without seeing you for a month." I said as I got up and walked away.

"Anna!" Markus yelled. "Where are you going?"

"Visiting hour's almost up. Go have fun."

I stomped out of the visiting room and went back to my room.

When I got there, I sat on my bed with tears in my eyes. I didn't understand what was going on. Why did I feel like this?

"Holly!" I yelled, hoping to get her attention.

The tears started to run down my face. I stopped yelling for Holly and laid on my bed, curling into the fetal position.

"Anna?"

I looked up and saw Holly.

"I don't know what's going on. I feel like my heart's being ripped out of my chest." I cried.

She got a look of sympathy and came over to sit beside me, trying to offer as much comfort as she could while I cried myself to sleep.