Chapter 2

"Hoseok I swear my heart is going to burst from my chest." You say as Daiane's house comes into view, you had a tight grip on his hand while your other dug nails into your palm.

"You and me both," Hoseok chuckles nonchalantly, "But we can do this, we have to see if Daiane's ok, right?"

"Yeah but... it's just Tate... what's he capable of?"

"Well, what's any man capable of?" Hoseok bit his tongue when you give him the biggest wide eyed look of your life, "Nevermind, happy thoughts, puppy. Happy thoughts."

You groan as you begin to chew on the nails of your right hand, Hoseok pulls into the driveway and your fight or flight instincts kick in.

Your body chose flight.

"Bail." You said as Hoseok parks the car.

"What?"

"Bail, we're bailing." You say, unconsciously having an iron grip on Hoseok's hand. Your breathing picks up, you don't feel safe at all.

You wanted to go home.

"Puppy," Hoseok's soothing yet stern voice brought you to your senses, "We have to make sure Daiane is ok."

Right, Daiane's safety.

You swallowed down your fear and with shaky hands you open the car door. Hoseok was quick to swing to your side and you both approach the mahogany door.

"I can't knock..." You whimper out and Hoseok wraps an arm around your waist, raising a steady hand and pounding onto the door. You chewed on your bottom lip as you were again met with silence at this doorstep.

"Their car's here..." Hoseok mutters as he pounds onto the door harder, he raises his voice, "Mrs. Lin? Daiane? Are you home?"

"Daiane?" You call out, "It's Y/N! Are you th—"

The door was opened and your soul left your body. Tate glares at you and he basically growls when he speaks.

"What do you want?" You swallow hard and shudder under the ice cold gaze.

"D-Daiane... uh, she wasn't at school today. S-So we wanted to check up on her and see if she was ok." Your teeth were chattering as you closed your mouth.

Hoseok clears his throat, Tate's gaze turning to him. Hoseok has seen enough shit in his life that he's not intimidated by the shorter man.

"She also has a project with a friend of mine, and sadly he's not the best at translating to smaller words she might know. So I've come to explain it for him."

"Daiane's in her room." Tate moves away from the door and you quickly drag Hoseok over to her bedroom door, still feeling Tate's gaze on your back.

"Daiane?" You press your ear against her door and knock using your knuckle, "Are you awake?"

"Yeah," Daiane's voice is weak, "You can come in." You give a worried look to Hoseok before carefully opening the door. Daiane was curled up in her bed, her blanket covering half of her face, her big brown eye looked at you lazily.

You carefully approach her bed, your voice was soft and gentle, "Hey, are you feeling alright?"

"C-Can you close the door?" Hoseok does as requested and Daiane only sits up when she hears the door click. She holds her pillow close to her and buried her mouth against it. You slowly approach her and gently reach out towards her.

"What's wrong Daiane? Why weren't you at school?" You asked softly as Daiane shifted uncomfortably.

"Tate didn't want me to go to school today," Daiane spoke softly back to you, her voice just above a whisper, "He says that I shouldn't be in school, that it's beneath me... my place is in the house."

"He seriously thinks that?" Your brow creases as you brought Daiane closer to your chest, she nodded and sniffled, "Well, he's wrong. I'm sure you're a brilliant student, you belong at school."

"I know I do, but he's stuck in his ways," A long sigh escaped her lips and her shoulders slacked, "He tried to force mom to stay at home and be a stay at home mom... but mom's too passionate about her job." Daiane shrugged and rubbed her temples, "She can fight against Tate's words because she's the sole breadwinner, but me? I'm just a student... there's not much I can think of to back my argument that doesn't sound offensive."

"Fuck not being offensive," Hoseok quirked a brow as he pressed his back against the door, "Who cares what he thinks? He can't control your life, or your future, you can do what you want with your life."

"Easier said than done," Daiane wipes her cheek, her voice cracking terribly, you could feel her shaking and your heart wrenched, "I've tried to go to school today, he just yanked me back inside and guarded the living room door until you guys came in."

"What is this man's problem?" You huffed and gently rubbed your thumb against Daiane's shoulder, "He's insane!"

"Does your mom know that he kept you from school?" When Hoseok saw Daiane shake her head he pressed another question, "Why not tell her that?"

"It's not that big of a deal guys, really. I'll be back in school tomorrow. Tate's just having a fit like usual..." Daiane gets up from your embrace and goes back to hugging her knees, "I'll be fine guys, I promise."

"Can I see your phone?" You ask and Daiane points to where it is in its charger, she unlocks it for you and you go to her contact list, "I'm adding a couple of contacts for you, in case you can't reach me or Hoseok. Call either one of these three people and they'll be here in a heartbeat."

"Who are they?" Daiane peers over your fingers, the names of Celine Sullivan, Kim Taehyung, and Min Yoongi are typed individually into contacts.

"One is my best friend, the second is her boyfriend, and the third is my best friend's in-law. They're some really tough people, they know how to set others straight when they get out of line." You smile and ruffle Daiane's hair, "They saved my life, y'know?"

"Really? How?" Daiane looked between you and Hoseok, you look at Hoseok too and gave a long sigh.

"It's a loooong story," You motion for Hoseok to come sit with you two, "it involves people from my past, very bad... crazy people."

"It also involves one of our friends getting arrested," Hoseok chimed in, "CiCi got the book thrown at her for helping others."

"Oh my," Daiane's eyes widened and you continued.

"It involved me getting kidnapped." Daiane whirled around and sat up straighter, she had gasped in disbelief, but you nodded your head in confirmation.

"Oh my word," Daiane blinked a couple of times, "I would've never known... are you ok?"

"I'm not completely better yet, but with your mom's help, I've seen improvement in myself. I'm still weary and I don't really understand why I went through everything that I did. But I'm getting better." You give Daiane a small smile and you give her a hug, "Are you going to be ok here?"

Daiane nods and gives you a bittersweet smile, her eyes began to tear up and her face flushed pink. Her voice kept cracking at every attempt she made to speak, so she just stuck with nodding her head and swiping at her eyes. Your chest tightened and you began to hold her again. She sobbed into your chest and clung onto the fabric of your sleeve. Her shaking caused the both of you to tremble, you weren't sure what was wrong, but you could tell that you were needed. Daiane needed help; you don't know why or how, but you were to help her.

For the rest of your visit, you and Hoseok tried everything possible to cheer her up. Once you were both satisfied that she was alright enough to leave, you made her smile and laugh one more time before you gathered your things and lead Hoseok out of the house.

You couldn't help but feel a pair of eyes burning into your back as you left.