Preface

Jungkook woke up that morning hating life. It was 6:30 am and freezing outside. He usually got up around this time everyday to go out on a run and exercise but all he wanted to do today was curl up next to Taehyung and go back to sleep.

He looked over at his sleeping boyfriend and smiled softly at how tightly he clutched his pillow. He was snoring softly and his mouth was slightly ajar, hair ruffled and all over the place.

Jungkook leans closer to Taehyung and kisses his lips softly.

Taehyung's eyelids flutter softly and he peeks at Jungkook briefly. "Hm?"

"Nothing." Jungkook murmurs back softly.

Taehyung takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. "Mm...time is it?"

Jungkook peeks at his phone, picking it up as it begins to ring. "6:37... hello?"

He frowns and looks at Taehyung as he listens to the person on the line. He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Ok...ok I'll be there. Yeah, ok; bye."

He glances at Taehyung, who appears to have gone back to sleep and gets out of bed, stretching and then shivering slightly as he walks to the bathroom. He brushes his teeth and washes his face, taking quick shower and then rushing to the closet to get dressed.

He slips a pair of slides on his feet and walks over to Taehyung, leaning over to kiss his cheek softly.

"I'll be back Tae." He says softly as the older boy shifts in his sleep and peeks at him again.

"M'kay..." Taehyung mumbles.

"I love you." Jungkook says, smiling and shaking his head when Taehyung doesn't reply, already back asleep.

Jungkook sighs softly as he leaves their quaint little house, huddling into his oversized hoodie and he walks out to the car and gets in, pressing the button to turn it on and leaving.

****

Taehyung woke up around 11 am, stretching in bed lazily and looking over at Jungkook's vacant spot.

He got up at went to use the bathroom and freshen up, before exiting their bedroom.

"Jungkook?" He calls, shaking his head when there was no response.

"Ahh, you've gotta stop working out so much Kook." Taehyung says to himself, yawning as he plops down on the couch.

He wasn't worried because he hadn't yet checked the time- something that haunted him in the years to come.

He knew that Jungkook liked to get a full workout in and that he often stopped by Namjoon and Jin's apartment since they lived on that side of town.

They didn't get to see their hyung's that much anymore. With the new leadership- or dictatorship as Taehyung jokingly called it- along with the new technological advancements of the government, most people were afraid to go out for long periods of time.

Everyone was afraid of being taken in and questioned by the police. Especially since they just started a new android program to help catch potential resistance threats and anyone talking negatively about the government in general.

He and Jungkook had decided not to be like that and went out freely, sometimes marveling over how empty the streets were.

Taehyung couldn't blame people for being afraid of the androids though. They legit looked, felt and sounded like human beings. It was eerily creepy.

Taehyung once found a dismembered body of an android on his way home from the grocery store. The skin was shredded but there was no blood, only wires and metal pieces underneath. It's hair was tossled and it's eyes and fingers were missing, mouth agape like it'd been screaming in pain.

Obviously it wasn't though, because it was only a robot. Some people actively went looking for androids with the intent to dismember them. All they were doing honestly were making themselves targets for the police and the government but Taehyung stayed out of that. It wasn't his business to tell others what to do.

He looks over to his left and sees the stuffed elephant he bought Jungkook months ago on their first date. They'd gone to an amusement park that was partially abandoned, most of the workers too afraid to come out and work.

That's how most establishments were now; he and Jungkook often raided the malls for new clothes when their clothes became too worn out.

They'd gone on the Ferris wheel because that's the only ride that was functioning and then played games at some of the booths that were open. All of them were rigged so they lost a lot of money but they had fun, giggling and teasing eachother as they played.

He'd turned to answer a call from Namjoon- who turned out to be Jin, using Namjoon's phone because he didn't have Taehyung's number and Jungkook was ignoring his calls- and when he turned back he saw Jungkook handing over what he now knew was a handful of money in exchange for a elephant plushie.

He turned to Taehyung with a grin, holding out the plushie.

"Here, this is for you." He said cutely.

"Thanks Kook." Taehyung smiles and kissed the younger boy on his lips, wanting to spend the rest of his life with him.

And now he was his fiancé.

Taehyung smiles again as he picks up the plushie.

"Mr. Elephant, where's my Kook?" Taehyung says, suddenly changing the octave of his voice to talk for the stuffed animal.

"Probably at Jinnie and Joonie's house. You know he likes to go there because you don't see them often."

He clears his throat, speaking normally again. "Yeah that's true Mr. Elephant. Should we go fix breakfast for him? Or try to fix breakfast?"

He smiles as he makes the plushie nod, setting it down carefully and getting up, heading to the kitchen.

He looks in the pantry but doesn't see anything too appealing and moves to the fridge, pulling out eggs and some provolone cheese.

He scrambled plain ones for himself and then scrambled three eggs, adding two slices of cheese on top. He didn't know why Jungkook liked cheese in his eggs but he did.

Taehyung slid the eggs onto two separate plates and poured them each a glass of orange juice before he sat at the table, expecting Jungkook to come home any moment now.

Except Jungkook never showed up.

Taehyung started calling each of their friends, but none of them had seen him. He called the police and tried in vain to remember what Jungkook did and said that morning before he left.

Seconds, minutes, hours, days, months pass by in a blur as Taehyung waits and waits and waits...