Chapter 9

I barely had any time to react when the first zap of fighting magic laced towards me.

The air crackled and Hachi's wand sparked a tiny line of LireFight, which zipped straight at me. This LireFight was a deep maroon, meant to provoke and hurt, less so much to maim or kill. Blue-indigo LireFight is the most dangerous and kills on contact.

I cowered but my ring acted for me. The blue stone turned light pink and made a translucent bubble-shaped shield around me. The LireFight hit the shield and dissipated. Hachi sent a few more streaks of maroon-colored magic at me, but my shield protected me from all of it.

Hachi eventually stopped and lowered her wand. My shield disappeared and I realized I was breathing heavily, still afraid. Once I'd calmed down, the pink stone turned to black once more.

Hachi gave me a look. "Do you admit you can use magic now?"

"I...!" I bit my tongue when Hachi leveled her wand at me and the stone turned pink again. "...yes I have magic."

"Took you long enough!" exclaimed Hachi.

I glared at her and the ring's stone turned red.

Hachi looked at my ring with unease. "Sometimes I wish you didn't have that, from how much you go off with its potent powers, and othertimes I'm thankful you do."

"Do you understand why it changes colors and does stuff without me commanding it to?" I asked.

Hachi chuckled. "That ring is a concentrator for the regular magic that you can already control. My wand is also a concentrator, but your ring is much more powerful, because my wand only can use pure magic, while your ring reads your emotions and uses the corresponding magic to your needs even without a conscious command to do so. When you were angry at Faun, the ring turned red, right? It turned red and gave you magically-increased strength. When you were upset a few moments ago, it turned blue and used levitating magic to wrap the sheets around you. When I scared you with some LireFight, the ring turned pink and made a colorless shield to defend you. The ring has some other colors and responses for those, but the major two you need to know are black and white."

"Why would I need to know about when the ring's stone is black? It doesn't do anything for me then." I reasoned.

Hachi explained, "That's the thing: the ring's stone being black means that you're feeling indifferent to your surroundings, but it also means no one's wearing it, or that the ring is unable to draw energy and you have to be prepared to use magic without its guidance."

"I understand now. As for white...?" I rubbed my thumb over the ring in mild appreciation for it.

Hachi sat down and gestured as she spoke. "The ring's stone turning white means that you're using 'pure magic' persay, it's not automatic magic that is being influenced by your emotions, this is magic that is generally concentrated with a few focus words, a 'spell,' but seeing as the ring is a focuser, you will not have to use the tricky language of spells."

"Why would my family even have this ring? No one has any magic...besides me now." I added hastily when Hachi gave me a dirty look.

Hachi gave me a knowing look with just a raise of her eyebrows. "You don't truly know that. Do you have any family members that suddenly went missing? Or have any family members that get watched by dark, mysterious strangers?"

"Well, my mother's parents both disappeared shortly after she married my father, and I've never met my father's parents...I've never known the company of a grandparent, really." I bit my lip unhappily.

Hachi mumbled to herself, "Possible magic on both sides! This could be very, very promising!"

I let out a long sigh and curled up into a ball. I didn't like this. In fact, I hated it. I wanted nothing to do with magic and wanted Faun to back off and to get the book back to the Flowers and to...I ramble. I just want life to work out for once, instead of handing me a heavy load of flour and expecting me to sprint with it, to do well even with the crushing guidelines.

Hachi petted my hair.

"I know something that can get you to stop sulking about magic and be back on your feet again, Pet." Hachi promised.

I made a face. "Okay, reveal to me it."

Hachi kissed my forehead.

"That didn't help." I said even as a warmness trickled through my blood.

Hachi whispered directly into my ear, "Both have had it at one time, so either Butterfly or Ryder has the Flowers' book."

I rose off the bed and rushed out of the room as Hachi had predicted.