1 | introduction

CHAPTER ONE  |  introduction

"Spartan woman are strong, just as they are beautiful."

___

SPARTA WAS A NATION
built purely off of god-like men, and god-like woman. Men, of course, were still leaders, who fought with physical strength and a lust to peek at the blood of their enemies. Woman were taught to fight as well, to be strong—but unlike  the men of Sparta, these woman fought with their hearts—the desire to protect their children, and their husbands honor.

Spartan woman are strong, just as they are beautiful.

Princess Calla of Sparta was no older than seventeen, but her father and brother had trained their beloved princess well. Just like her queen mother, she only held a lethal weapon when absolutely necessary, but Princess Calla did not need a weapon to overcome even the largest of men.

Calla was small—fast. And while strength might have been an element many men relied on in physical combat, Calla relied solely on her skill.

She was trained by the best, after all.

But, still—even the princess of Sparta had duties she was not immune to. Calla was to be sent to Westeros, where she would be wed to a man of honor, and highborn blood. She would support this man with all she had, and she would birth him sons.

Calla would honor her own family, only by honoring his.

"They are a strong, honorable house," King Leonidas Alcander whispered, embracing his only daughter tightly, knowing that this would be the last time he could ever call her is. "He is a northern lord. And what is said about the northern lords?"

"That only strong men can survive in conditions so cold."

"Aye," Leonidas agreed. "I'm sure your mother will do well with planning your wedding."

"I wish you could be there, father."

"As do I, but I must remain in Sparta. Though, I do expect your ravens."

Calla scoffed, "communication through ravens will take months!"

"Aye," Leonidas nodded sadly, eyes watching his daughters' eyes for any sign of emotion. His eyes studied her youth—for it would be many, many years before they would ever look upon one another.

Leonidas saw his wife when he looked at his daughter—she carried the same bone structure consisting of high cheekbones and a sharpened jawline. Calla's eyes were bluer than the bluest of oceans, just like her mother. But like her father, her skin had been kissed by the sun and her hair was dark like the night. Every last one of her features resembled that of a true Grecian woman.

"The northern lord that awaits you will be lucky to have you as his wife," Leonidas smiled. "his northern friends, even the king of the seven kingdoms will feel their hearts leak with envy once they look upon you."

"Don't flatter me, father." Calla blushed.

"Don't be bashful, dear daughter. All lords dream of marrying a Spartan princess—strong and beautiful with knowledge beyond their years," he laughed. "That being said, I expect grandsons no later than a fortnight after you've been wed."

"Father, no," Calla laughed loudly, allowing the Spartan king to lead her to the ship she and her mother would be leaving on.

"Yes," he grinned, "it'll remind your mother that we are getting old, and contributing to those nightly activities will soon break our hips and —"

"Disgusting!"

"Perhaps you should tell her for me, Calla."

"That's your wife, tell her yourself!"

"I'm only teasing, dear daughter," Leonidas laughed again. "I'm sure we'll survive the next few years or so."

"Too much detail for my liking."

"I'll have to agree, sweet sister," her eldest brother strode toward her—a frown of discomfort appearing on his face. "But at least your chambers aren't so close to our parents. You don't have to hear it."

"What's this? Has my dearest big brother come to see me before I'm off to meet my northern husband?" Calla cocked a brow, smirking at the taller boy.

Thaddeus smirked back, "I'm only here to mock sadness before I celebrate no longer having to listen to your wretched singing."

"And at least I no longer have to listen to the common woman speak of the things they'd like to do to you,"

"I'm sure I've made an impression on those northern woman as well, sweet sister. I was in Westeros for quite some time, now, was I not?"

A moment of silence fell over the siblings, both staring back at each other as the Spartan king listened to their little show-down with amused eyes. He knew their blubbering was only fun and games, for his children loved each other just as much as their parents loved them.

Thaddeus broke the silence with sudden softness, "I will miss you, little sister."

"And I you, brother of mine."