2 | the lords and the ladies

CHAPTER TWO | the lords and the ladies

"You will make them love you."

___

THE CRISP AIR OF
the north would be something for Calla to get used to-for it seemed to be winter even when it was summer.

The Spartan ships were due to arrive on the northern Westerosi shore in hardly an hour, and the princess' handmaidens rushed about. They pulled her hair up into Grecian braids and dressed her in her light grey, Spartan styled dress-silky and thin, surely not at all warm enough for the land of ice and snow.

Silver, metal bands encircled her skinny yet toned biceps. A silver tiara rested firmly upon her head, molded into vines and leaves with the symbol of Sparta proudly set in the center. A rabbit skinned cloak rested on her shoulders, warming her slightly, but not nearly enough to grant her mercy from the low temperatures of the northern land.

"We've arrived, daughter of mine," her queen mother-Helena Alcander-spoke sadly, and just above a whisper. The handmaidens curtsied as they exited the room, leaving the two woman to speak to one another privately, "your betrothed and his family await our presence just outside."

Calla's heart began to pick up pace, everything happening was only now hitting her-her mind began to cloud with panicked thoughts and negative emotions. For she was now entering a completely different land-a completely different world.

What if her Spartan manners were considered ghastly to the Westerosi northerners? What if the so-called 'beauty' her Spartans often praised was considered ugly in this country? What if woman who were trained to be strong and proud was highly frowned upon?

"Your worried," her mother frowned. "Scared."

Calla turned to face her mother-her eyes slightly brimmed with salted tears, she hated herself for it. Spartans were supposed to be strong, at all times, never failing to overcome their obstacles. Yet, here she was ready to shed tears.

Calla clenched her jaw, angrily wiping her eyes, "I'm such a coward."

"No, my love, you're not," Lady Alcander embraced her fearful daughter. "You're being sent off to another land-somewhere you've never been before, to marry a man you've never met. You're not cowardish for crying, my love. You're just human."

"What if they don't like me?" Calla whimpered. "What if-"

"But they will, I assure you. As your father said, Calla, everyone loves a Spartan woman. We are strong as we are beautiful. We love, and we can fight. We overcome. They may not like you at first, but you will make them fall in love you. Now smile," Helena's hand rested on her daughter's cheek. "Make this northern lord feel as lucky as he looks."

***

The northerners had been gossiping all morning;

"The princess of Sparta is to be the Lady of Winterfell!"
"I hear she is even more beautiful than Queen Cersei."
"Spartan woman have been known to fight just as well as their husbands."
"I'll bet she's not as pretty as the stories claim."
"Shut it, you envious hag!"

And while the Starks didn't usually care for commoner gossip, it was only adding to their anticipation. Tales of the Spartan people and their warriors travel as far as to Westeros-they are strong, ruthless when need be, and extremely proud. Their men were known to be large and strong-all men were warriors, and they practiced honor until they knew it like the back of their hand.

King Leonidas had proved it when they had came through Westeros so many years ago. Prince Thaddeus had as well when he passed through just a few months ago. As Spartans, they and their men wore hardly any clothes, and entered battle wearing only their flesh and hardened chests. Nothing more than fabric had covered their groins, and red Spartan cloaks draped over their backs.

Yet, no one had cared that they were so underdressed. Their bodies were built like gods, their skills in combat were unworldly. Spartans, even in Westeros, and especially in Dorne, were highly respected due to their reputation.

The Starks lined up, oldest to youngest with their parents to the left. Their bannermen and commoners remained behind them, still whispering amongst themselves excitedly and peeking over at the ships.

Spartan men, wielding intimidating swords and heavy looking spears, began to disembark the ships. They were large men, and even in the cold they wore nothing more than the shoes on their feet, the cloth around their waist and the thin furs resting on their shoulders. Every muscle on their body was revealed, and somehow, they did not even shiver in the colder temperature.

Eddard Stark could almost feel the common woman swooning over these men from behind his family.

Two woman-fully dressed, yet hardly appropriate for the weather, stood together in beautiful dressed sewn with gold and thin furs to warm them. The oldest clearly being the other's mother, as she wore a golden crown on her head.

The other was no older than seventeen, with dark brown hair, wavy as the sea and striking, ocean blue eyes framed by thick eyelashes. Her skin appeared to have been sun-kissed, and her tan was only intensified by the white of the snow. Her skin held no flaws, her lips plump and rose-y.

"So it's true, then," Ned heard a commoner whisper. "She really is more beautiful than Cersei Lannister."

"Lord and Lady Stark," an older man, with lighter colored hair, came forward. He was just as big and just as strong looking as the rest of his Spartan brothers, but he clearly held more power. "I present to you Queen Helena and Princess Calla of Sparta."

The two woman curtsied, the northerners returned the gracious gesture all at once.

"Queen Helena, Princess Calla, please allow me to introduce to you my son and heir, as well as your betrothed, Robb Stark."

The auburn haired boy stepped forward, eyes locked on the Spartan princess before him, who was just slightly younger than he was. He'd expected her to be beautiful, just as his father had promised. But he did not expect that she would be almost flawless.

"My lady," Robb bowed to his lady, and absentmindedly lifted her knuckles to his lips, not breaking eye contact. "It is a pleasure to have you."

"And you, my lord."