[ chapter 2 - meme vocabulary ]

New art style! Hopefully the cutscenes dont look so shit now. it's a bit softer on the eyes

-

ZZT! ZZT!

"Ahem! Ahem. Attention, students! A classmate of yours has recently brought an issue to us... so we've decided that two more of the Ultimate Arcades are going to be unlocked!" Hoggokuma announced.

So she did go to find him.

"Okay, losers, listen up! Hope's Peak Fair is proud to announce that the Ultimate Snowboarder and the Ultimate Pool Player now have their Ultimate Arcades unlocked! That makes five!" Hejjikuma cheered. "All ya' kids gotta do to get more is keep on the killin' or I'll have to do it for you! First up on the sacrifice list is Jutaro. Good, good, have a terrible night, kids!"

ZZT! ZZT!

"That makes five then, huh? With how this game is going, I doubt it'll be the last."

Akira nearly fell over in shock at the voice behind her. She spun around, alarm filling her system: was someone about to kill her or-

Oh. It was just Rei. And also Chiemi was there for some reason.

"You scared me half to death," Akira wheezed.

Chiemi laughed, covering her mouth. "Oops! Sorry about that. It's getting late, so I came to remind you about our meeting! Rei decided to tag along since she was worried about you."

"Tch," Rei scoffed.

Akira nodded. "Yeah, I almost forgot myself. Thanks for the reminder. Also, Rei, thanks for caring about me! It's nice of you, even if you try to act like you don't care."

"Whatever. Think what you want," the girl replied a bit coldly. "Go with your friend. I'm going back to my room."

..And she left.

Chiemi frowned, crossing her arms. "Gee.. I wonder what her problem is. Such a downer all the time."

"Well, I guess some people are having trouble accepting the situation is all," Akira murmured, "it's a pretty scary thought. Anyways, Chiemi, we're going to learn about ' memes ' right? Did I say it right?"

Chiemi nodded. "Mhm! Good, you're already learning! Okay, let's go to the stage so I have room to put up my board!"

"Y-Your board?" Akira asked, gasping when the girl grabbed her arm and started to drag her towards the door.

-

They arrived at the stage, moonlight glistening and reflecting beautifully. It was a bit upsetting she'd never actually see the sky again, noting the green tinted ' barrier ' around the amusement park.

Chiemi cleared her throat, standing up on stage with a big smile, pulling a giant whiteboard with scribbles and words in the messiest handwriting Akira had ever seen.

"Okay, so, there are multiple papers underneath this one, so there are about three terms per sheet-" she started to explain.

This is gonna be a long night... Akira thought as the screenwriter continued to ramble.

-

By the end of the lecture, Akira had confidently learned the term ' yeet '. She wasn't sure exactly why it was an important word, but she heard Chiemi shout it sometimes when she would throw something. 

She decided that she'd try it out tomorrow. It was going to be a busy day and she wanted to make sure she could impress her friends.

-

She walked calmly back to her room, smiling all the way there. She had run into Kouta in the hallway and decided to ask him about his arm.

"It looks like it's healing," he had replied, taking off a ziplock bag full of ice and taking a look at it, "it still hurts a bit, though. Take this as a warning not to mess with stuffed hedgehogs!"

And then again, she ran into Jutaro by his dorm, writing furiously in a notebook with a feather pen.

"What are you doing, Jutaro?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. "Is that a diary or...?"

"O-Oh, not really," he shrugged, "I'm writing down a-all the murders w-word for word on how they happened. T-That way, when I d-die, people will find out about t-this."

"That's a bit morbid," she replied sadly, "why do you assume you're going to die? We're not gonna continue this dumb killing game, you know. All of us are strong - friends - we work together-"

"You don't know that," he cut her off eerily. "You don't know a-anything about these people. O-One of them could be planning your d-death and you w-wouldn't even know it." He narrowed his eyes, freckles looking like spots of pitch-black darkness on his (unhealthily) pale face, "s-so when that happens, just remember who your f-friends are."

He stood up, closing his book with a deep, thoughtful frown, looking like he knew all of the answers but not knowing what he would do with them, and walked into his room, shutting the door in her face.

That night, Akira went to sleep feeling very conflicted.