[ chapter 5 - the end ]

Question of The Day:

So, since chapter 5 is infamous for being the saddest chapter, how did I do? Was it sad enough for you guys?

me: *cooking chicken for my family*

tiny drop of oil: it's free pain estate

longest closing argument to date, easily. it's almost 800 words

-

"So... This had been planned for a while. Tokihiko came to me after the third trial and proposed the idea of an ' unsolvable murder ' - two people killing each other at the same time, meaning neither of them could be the blackened. Akira stopped him before I could agree, though, and life went on as normal.

However, after Shinako was killed, I realized this wouldn't end unless I forced it to end. I wasn't actually sure what to do at first, but Tokihiko seemed to have an idea. He told me that ' Yuuna ', the Mastermind, was going to force me to kill him, as he ' broke the rules ' by killing Eiko, which he actually wasn't supposed to do. Yuuna is able to make us do whatever she wants - we don't have control of our actions.

At that point, it was either go along with the plan or kill him. I agreed to it.

Right after the trial ended, Tokihiko slipped out of the trial room to set up for the murder. He went into the hidden room underneath the Ferris Wheel, as there was only one camera in there. This was also where Yuuna wrote her diary entries and plans for the Killing Game. Tokihiko took all of the pages in the room and burned them.

I already knew I wasn't going to allow myself to just die and have all of you die with me. I was going to play along with the plan, but I wasn't going to die doing it. I had stolen an audio recording device from Rei's room beforehand, and since they say "your eyes are the window to your soul", I made sure to grab my old hat to cover them.

Saying I wanted to talk to Obokata as an excuse, I left the trial room and went straight for the hidden room. Tokihiko was already waiting for me, so I made sure the audio recording device was recording and hit it in my belt so he wouldn't notice.

Tokihiko made sure to destroy the camera in the hidden room before anything happened. With nothing to monitor what was happening, Hejjikuma wouldn't be able to use the footage as a reference, and so it would be impossible for anyone, including Yuuna, to know who the killer was. Tokihiko didn't know which one of us would be the killer, either. Only I knew - and it was going to be me.

Then, he pulled out two bottles of poison, and the audio recording device ran out of space, meaning it stopped recording. He handed me one and instructed we switch bottles, that way we were poisoning each other, meaning we would kill each other. I handed him a bottle, and he handed me one. Without hesitation, he counted to three and... he drank all of it.

I pretended to drink it so he wouldn't get unnerved, then I just did the same thing he did. He coughed, I did. I made sure to do it hard enough so that my throat would bleed. Then, Tokihiko fell. He was dead. I wasn't.

I knew I didn't have long before someone noticed I was gone. I put the bottle of poison under my hat so nobody would notice it. I felt his body and noticed that it was already getting cold, then noticed my body would be warm if I pretended to be dead. I thought of a way to use the warmness as an excuse, and so I took one of the candles in my belt and poured the wax all over myself. It... really hurt.

I laid on my side and pretended to be dead, holding the flame of the candle close enough so that the wax wouldn't harden. My clothes are baggy, which means that I breathed shallowly enough so that nobody would notice. Nobody would really touch my body either because the wax would burn them.