Then There Were Three

"I don't trust her, Alex, not one damn bit."

"I know, Chaz, I completely understand. This is way beyond crazy, but she's shaking, shaking like a leaf. She's terrified. If you were holding her, you'd understand. There's no way she wants to hurt us. Certainly not in the state she's in now."

"We need to get going to the fort. That's way bigger than her. You know what we're carrying, and the potential it has for change. Now quit being so emotional, and think about the larger picture."

"Really, Chaz? What does the larger picture matter if we can't make a difference in the life of a kid. Isn't that what the bigger picture is about? It's about making a difference in the lives of individuals. We don't even know if the drugs and research we're carrying will work. It's a gamble. But right here, right now, we can make a difference. We can save her. We don't get chances to save many lately. How can we not help her? Maybe she's a key to understanding the zombies. If what she says is true, she could be incredibly helpful. Maybe more helpful than what's in that case."

Chaz paused, and took a breath. Then, he shook his head ever so slightly up and down.

"Fine, OK, damn it! But we're taking precautions. I'm not about to get my throat ripped out by some kid. Get in the car."

They headed over to the car, with Alex carrying Christa and Chaz following safely behind. The safety on his automatic was still off.

"Put her in the front passenger seat and put her seatbelt on."

Alex opened the passenger door, and gently slid Christa into the passenger seat and placed her seatbelt on. She was reluctant to let go of him, but she did.

"Don't worry, kiddo, it's going to be OK. We'll get to somewhere safe."

Meanwhile, Chaz grabbed the keys from the ignition, and popped open the trunk. He rummaged around for a while in the back till he found what he was looking for. He came out holding tie-down straps for the roof rack. Alex look at him and shook his head.

"Tie her hands and feet. Not too tight, don't cut off her circulation, just make sure she's not mobile. Make it tight enough so she can't reach the driver."

"C'mon, Chaz, is this really necessary?"

"I told you, I am not taking any chances. What we're up to is too important. It's not that long a trip; she'll manage."

"Fine!" Alex took the straps from Chaz

Alex knelt down by Christa and wrapped the straps around her wrists.

"I'm sorry about this, but there's a lot we don't understand and he's just trying to keep everyone safe. It won't take us long to get where we're going, and then I can take these off."

"It's OK," she said. "I understand. I know I used to be pretty scary, before I changed. I would have tied me up before too. There's a lot I don't understand too."

Alex smiled back. "It really is just a short ride. I'll get you out of these as soon as possible. I just need to keep the old man happy."

Alex continued tying the straps, not as tight as Chaz would have, but well enough. He looped the straps from her hands through the door handle so she couldn't reach the driver, like Chaz had requested. He secured the strap from her ankles to the seat frame underneath. That should keep the old buzzard happy, he thought.

Revealed - Parables From The Apocalypse - Book 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें