Morning, sweetheart

Dazai stayed in his room for a few hours, just talking with Chuuya, Atsushi, and Kunikida. They were kind and cautious. 

It made Dazai sick to his stomach, how they were treating him like some sort of delicate flower. 

He wasn't that important anyway, why were they so worried?

They would be better off if he just died already. 

How difficult could it be for one man to end it all?

     "Dazai? Are you okay?" Chuuya asked, face contorted in concern. "You're getting that look again..." He trailed off, hoping that his words would be enough to snap Dazai out of his stupor. 

The redhead didn't want to have to make out with him in front of the others. 

Dazai shook his head, picking at his bandages again. He looked up a moment later, a sheepish grin on his face. 

     "Yeah, of course! I'm perfectly fine." He lied. 

Luckily, all three seemed to buy his forced smile, though Chuuya still looked faintly concerned. 

     "I was hoping that you would be well enough to come to the office soon. Everyone at the agency is worried about you!" Atsushi chimed, his face bright. 

Dazai's gut twisted. 

Dear god, he could never face everyone after this. 

     "I-I don't know...are you sure they want to see me?" The brunette asked, all the while picking his bandages. 

The action made his arms ache. 

He could settle for the dull sensation until they left. 

Atsushi looked surprised.

     "Of course they do! They missed you Dazai-san!" The boy smiled at his mentor. "We're kind of like some dysfunctional family, after all!" He turned to look at the blond man next to him. "Right Kunikida?"

The Idealist offered the silver-haired boy a smile and a nod, turning to Dazai. 

     "Dazai, I was thinking that one of us should stay with you at all times, at least until we're sure you're...safe..." Kunikida glanced at the others who nodded faintly in agreement. 

Dazai felt his arms begin to burn. 

Shit.

     "No! I mean...I'll be fine now, I promise." He looked down, refusing to meet their eyes. "I swear...I haven't done anything like that in forever! It was just because of the fog." The detective lied.

The three looked hesitant. 

     "Besides, I won't be able to sleep with you three here!" He smirked. "I'm terribly self-conscious you know." 

Finally, they seemed to relax a bit. 

     "Alright...but we will be making rounds to check on you every hour or so." Kunikida sighed, looking more and more tired. "Dazai...I..." He paused, taking a breath, "I just want you to know that you are...important to us...so...please, just be safe, alright...?" 

Dazai couldn't help but be surprised. 

Kunikida wasn't a very emotional person but his voice was full of sincerity and...guilt?

Dazai just smiled, not even having to force himself completely. 

He didn't deserve these people. 

     "I know, I know...I promise I'll be safe." Dazai was beginning to hate how easily he lied to such honest people. 

Finally, after the other two left, Chuuya stood and gathered his things.