2

---

        I've always hated the number 1. The way it's spelt, what it stands for, all of it makes me upset. Second is truly the best. One. O-N-E. O. N. E. Isn't there just something unattractive about it. It's a bad place to start off, which is why I always start on the second page.

My favorite place in the world is the library. With its tall walls, stacks and stacks and stacks of old and new books, the fresh scent of paper, and the heavy pages all bound together. As I push open the heavy oak doors, and take a step on the parquet, a large gust of cold autumn air flows into the building. I take a step towards the pile of returned books and wave at the fragile librarian. "Hello Stephen," the librarian wanly smiled at me, "I hope you brought some of your 100's books you checked out." I swung by her little counter and reached into the red satchel that was draped around my body. "Actually," I began grabbing book after book from the bag and placing them on the counter until it formed a tall wall of books, "I did." I smiled brightly at the lady behind the desk. "You read all of these in two weeks?" The lady began checking in the borrowed books. "Actually one week." I scratched at my beard, I should shave soon, maybe I'll even pick up an electric razor on the way home. "I just, didn't find time to return them." The lady exaggerated her nod. "Mhm, alright Stephen. I'll take care of these." "Thank you." I smiled as I walked further into the large hall of books.

       I passed through the rows and rows of books, letting my fingers trail on each one. I saw a book a few weeks ago that caught my eye. It looked old, definitely over a century old, with some metal on the cover. My fingers drag, trying to feel that once familiar book. The only reason I didn't take it before, is that I work alphabetically. I've read everything that interested me in over three libraries, I always read alphabetically to the title. It's easier to find ones I like. I came across the old book in the wrong spot, the B section. Caglio-whatever clearly belonged in the the C section, so I placed it back. I couldn't read the authors name, mainly because I didn't see it on the cover but also because the pages were written in a different language. I skimmed the C's looking for everything I could find. "Caglio, Caglio, Caglio." I repeated, trying to stay focused. Through all the rows and columns of C, it was nowhere to be seen. "Someone probably checked it out,, unless."

       I strided towards the B section, re-skimming all the bindings of the books, tracing my fingers until- a cold metal arch was under my finger. The binding, the bindings! I pulled the book out with such curiosity, speedily flipping through pages, scanning over what I could. "Yes! Book of Cagliostro!" I whispered to myself. I sped to one of the big wooden stair cases, and found my spot on the balcony. A small wooden chair with leather padding. A small light on a small table and a great view of the maze of books. I lightly put the book on the table, and pulled out my phone. The book dearly needed google translation. I flipped through the frail pages one by one, translating and picking up on the little details. I was stuck with the little bit of information that I had, as my phone had died, but that didn't leave me any less curious. Questions formed in my head, such as: What's a sling ring? How do I get said sling ring? Is there a place that practices this stuff? I would've had more questions if I wasn't disrupted by someone entering the hall of books.

"Ugh, excuse me lady, where can I find books on quantum mechanics?" The brute spoke. He had an overly confident stance and a pair of ridiculous sunglasses. He was wearing black camouflage joggers with hints of orange, that matched his jacket which was tied around his waist. With grease smudges on his arms, hands and face, the man complained about a WiFi outage that spread all across New York. "I need to learn quantum mechanics now and if I can't google it, then I'm stuck here." The small man snapped at the poor librarian, what a jerk, but there was something about him that made me unable to look away. Was it that he was disrupting everyone in the library and drawing attention to himself or something else. "While you're at it, some books on nanotechnology would be great, thanks love."

Before I realized what I was doing, I grabbed my book and raced down the stairs. I approached the short man who was even shorter up close. "Excuse me," I chimed. The man turned his attention towards me, he looked to be about my age. "Yeah?" I loosened my scarf and readjusted my satchel, with my book in hand. "I can show you where the books on quantum mehanics and nanotechnology are if you'd like." The man started walking, obviously not knowing where he was going, "Finally, some decent service."

I walked beside him down the main corridor of the long building, "Keep your voice down." "Uh- What?" He questioned, lowering his voice. "Have you been to a library before?" "Um, no. No I haven't." I looked over at the short man, he was clearly embarrassed. He wiped a grease stain off his cheek, or at least he tried to, it got a lot worse. "Hold still." I said while wetting the end of my scarf with my saliva and cleaning the stain off his face. "Oh, um, thanksss." The man dragged. "I'm Tony." He offered his hand. Mine met his, and as our hands shook, I introduced myself. "Stephen. That's a pretty name."

We continued walking down the hall, towards the N section. "This is where you'll find yourself some books on nano-tech, I'll give you some time to grab whatever you need before we take off again." I began to walk away to sit at a nearby table, when the man- when Tony, began talking to me. "So, uh, how long have you worked here?" "Oh, I don't work here, I just really love the library. I suppose you're more of the google-type though." Tony's brown eyes met mine, "Well you're not wrong." Tony began pulling out book after book all on the same topic. "If you're not a librarian, then, what do you do?" Tony said, rejoining me in the corridor. "Well I was in med-school, but I can't really do that anymore." It always makes me sad to think about, I wanted to help people, but now I can't. "Why not? Wait, lemme guess! You had a tragic misfortune just like every other person that's looking for an excuse! You can just say you dropped out, y'know. It's better to be honest about that type of thing." I didn't reply, I instead fiddled with the book in my hands.

  "Well, what about you? What do you do?" I asked Tony. "Oh, well, you've probably heard of my father, but I basically do what he did, but I'm way better." Tony snickered. "That doesn't tell me anything." Tony looked confusingly at me. "I need your last name, unless Tony is your last name, but I personally think you didn't introduce yourself with your last name." I snarkily replied. "Heh, oh yeah. Stark. Anthony Stark." We continued walking down the hall, no other words exchanged. We approached the Q's as I left him with one last remark, "Don't forget to check out the books at the front desk. You can't just steal them." Tony chuckled as I walked towards the front of the big building.

"Leaving so soon, Stephen?" A snarky voice from behind called out. I groaned as I handed the librarian my book to be checked out. "Yes, I am." I whispered, not turning to face him. "What, was it something I said?" Tony jested. "Yes, actually." I said as Tony joined by my side. I pulled out my blue library card out of my wallet. A slightly shocked look in his eyes flashed through his modern sunglasses. "Oh, I wasn't expecting that." "Yeah, no shit." I said, taking back my card and book. "Stephen!" The librarian hushed. "Stephen!" Tony mocked, placing a large stack of books on the counter. "Alright, I'm leaving. Bye Tony!" I sarcastically waved as I headed towards the big heavy doors. A  Tony came rushing over with all of his books in his hands. Out of kindness I held the door for him. "Thank you. Could you hold these for a minute?" Tony handed them to me regardless of my answer, which if he would've given me time to respond I would've said no. Tony untied the jacket from around his waist and slipped it on. "Alright, thank you Stephen." "It's no problem." I spoke forcefully, as I stepped down the stairs of the library. I tried to ignore the shorter man following behind me, as I began to leave, but then he began to talk.

"Hey, so I was thinking. Why don't you tell me why you dropped out of med school over coffee sometime?" I stopped in my tracks and whipped my head around to meet Tony's gaze. "No," I continued to walk away from Tony, "but if you ever need me, I'll most likely be here."

---