3

——

       I've lost all focus. With the WiFi gone, I am,, unable to process what I'm reading. I used to work all online, with a huge database, and now it's all gone. I've just been sitting with my books all week, flipping page after page. After I figure out nanotechnology I should figure out how to make a strong wireless internet connection.

       I can't sit still. Every five minutes I get up to adjust the thermostat, or refill my water bottle, or just rest my head on my table. It used to be a desk, a real, true, workable desk. With holograms and better technology than any computer on the market all stripped away, what used to be a workspace is simply a table. I flip page after page in the books going from cover to cover without retaining anything at all. I've lost all ambition to do work. I unfortunately continue to procrastinate until the WiFi is fixed. And yes, I did turn it off and back on again, and again, and again.

       "Y'know what, I am gonna go... some-where." I announced to myself, losing confidence in my idea as each word flowed into the air. I stood, tapping my foot, trying to decide if this was actually a decent idea. And with a shrug, I decided I had nothing better to do. I grabbed a cardboard box, and started packing my books into it. I put some scraps of metal that I had been working with into the box along with some grease and screws. Grabbed some small hardware off my desk, "If the internet prevents me from coding, I'll just, code around it."

       I got towards the elevator of my apartment building, and managed to see the rain out the window. "Shit." I mumbled, looking at the big box of stuff that can't get ruined. Time to add an umbrella as my cherry on top. I held the umbrella with my armpit, and as disgusting as it was, it actually worked to protect the box from the rain.... for a while.

       I stumbled out of the elevator and down the front stairs of the building and begin on my journey to,, somewhere. God, I have to get better at planning.  Uhm, well considered I have all my books, why don't I go to the library. And with a destination in sight, I began my walk.

      Whoosh!! "nNooo." I stared to the umbrella. "Don't move, don't move, don't moveeee!" I picked up my pace, trying to get to my destination away from rain and wind quicker. WHOOSH!!! The umbrella began to lean away from my box towards the full streets of New York. And with a final gust upwards, the umbrella freed itself from my arm, and danced in the street, until a car hit it. "This is fine," I said, beginning to sprint, leaving the umbrella behind. "This is okay, I can work with this, cool cool cool cool cool."

       When I arrived at the library, I faced a struggle even just opening the doors. But when I finally did, my wet and cold figure was met by the warmth of the library. I stayed on the first floor of the building, placing my soggy box on a square table with an abundance of chairs surrounding it. I began to unpack my box. My hardware was okay for the most part along with my screws and metal bits, but the grease turned into quite a mess. I pulled the now empty bottle out of the box, and revealed that I hadn't even closed it in the first place. And the books, oh I feel bad about the books. The books were irreversibly damaged with damp spots of water, and the grease that seeped deeper into each page. "Shit" I grunted, hitting myself in the head. "I am such a dumb motherfu-" "-Bozo."

I turned my head to look at the tall man behind me with his hands in his coat pockets and a satchel on his side. "You can't swear in a library when you're near the kids section, stupid." The familiar face smiled at me. "Stephen, just in time. I'm having another book dilemma." I wanly smiled at Stephen as a puzzled look appeared on his face. He swiftly moved around the table, inspecting each object carefully, as if he could somehow make it worse.

"What is this?" Stephen muttered as he looked closer at the books. He took his large hands out of his pockets and slowly flipped through the pages. "Is this oil?" He turned to look at me with one of the books in his, scar-filled hands. "It's, uh, grease actually. Yeah I know, I'm the biggest idiot ever, right?" Stephen's attention turned back to the books, "No," Stephen began, "I've seen worse." Stephen's hand absentmindedly stroked the hard covers of the books as he silently stared. I questioned what he was doing for a second when he snapped out of his trance.

"You have to go pay for these. Did you bring your wallet?" I stuck my hands in my pockets searching, when I came across the folded leather strip. "A-ha! Yes. I. Did!" I grabbed as many books as I could fit in my arms and Stephen grabbed the remainders. Our short walk ended almost as soon as it had started.

"Oh hello, Stephen! I see you've brought your friend with you. How can assist you, young man?" The chipper librarian spoke with a bright smile on her face. Little did she know, her good mood would be whisked away momentarily. "Okay, So, funny story," I placed the books on the counter, Stephen followed my action. "What did you do?" Her sweet voice turned into a voice that one can only describe as 'blood-crazed grandma on Black Friday'. "I assure you it was all an accident. I'll pay for them." I took out my wallet and began flipping through bills. "You will pay and then not come back, do you understand me."

Stephen looked down at me, almost as shocked as I was, "Look, he made a simple mistake, I mean I've definitely ruined a few books in my lifetime. So why don't you just let him pay you for the books, and that can be the end of the transaction." The librarian stood her ground, which was impressive for someone who couldn't stand without the help of a walker. "For that comment, Stephen, you're out on your luck as well. Neither of you are welcome back at this establishment until I die!" "So what's that, two weeks?" I stated nonchalantly. Stephen giggled at my statement and raised his hand to cover his mouth. The librarian pointed to the door, "Out."

       After Stephen helped me gather my things from the table, we headed out of the building with the large oak doors. Stephen sighed happily after he stepped out into the cool autumn rain. "That was fun." He established with warm smile on his face. "You're not mad at me?" I began down the slick cement stairs. "Pff, no. I honestly don't care. Besides, you kinda got me a free book. Stephen gestures to the satchel draped across his body. I felt confused, and he must've seen the look on my face, because he began to clarify. "I didn't steal on purpose, but I have a book that I checked out last week still in my bag."

       Stephen's hair became wet with rain, he reached into his satchel to pull out a compressed umbrella. He held the umbrella in between us as we walked, I couldn't take my eyes of his hands. I didn't bother to think about my destination, just about the scars on his hands. "So are you just gonna continue following me or do you have somewhere to go?" His loud voice asked. "Oh, I don't really have any plans for right now." Stephen nodded, and began to cross a street. I ran behind him, trying to catch up to him and his umbrella. "Wanna grab a coffee or something? We're right by Sunny Side Café." He spoke, pointing to the building approaching on our right. "Sure." I said opening the door for him. Before entering, he shook his umbrella dry and folded it up into his bag again.

      Stephen began his way to the breakfast bar of the greasy spoon. He took a seat and grabbed a menu. "I don't know about you but I'm absolutely starving, I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday." "Me too."

——