five

a/n: check out the tune above for this chapter (Love Me Less)! also be sure to vote! ♥

There's something in the air in Hart's, but it isn't quite sea spray or love. 

On the local news station, the weatherman gestures at a smear of red moving fast across the sea and tries to hide a frown as he predicts "a bout of bad weather over the next couple of days." He seems hesitant about elaborating—or maybe he just doesn't know. It rarely gets this bad in the bay: shops are closed; plans are cancelled; lives are put on hold.

But not for six individuals. When they meet again the next day, the air is heavy and the sky has turned a shade darker, bursting at the seams with billowing clouds and pelting rain. The forces of nature aren't getting along.

And neither will they.

Aiko doesn't need an alarm to wake up at six in the morning

Aiko doesn't need an alarm to wake up at six in the morning. At daybreak, her eyes flutter open and her arms stretch out in anticipation. She's been programmed to get up as soon as possible: to get dressed, sort out breakfast for the twins, and jump on her bike to get to the diner ahead of her shift. 

But she's already here, she remembers as she straightens and looks around at the empty tables.  She winces in pain at the movement. Everything feels stiff.

"Morning." Her head snaps up at the baritone greeting and something audibly cracks. Cole is perched on the counter by the cash register: phone in one hand, mug in the other, earphones looped around his neck. He adds, "Your mom called last night, but my mum told her that you left for a friend's house so 'you're clear' apparently."

The news doesn't make Aiko feel any better. There'll be something new waiting when she gets home: delivering the cookies, making lunch for the twins, mowing the lawn.

She shakes her head and winces again. Apparently, she doesn't learn. "Give me a minute—and an apron—and I'll get to work."

"There isn't work." His fingers drum against the side of the counter before he explains, "My parents had to run to the garage again. Kitchen staff left earlier. You're free to go home for the day." 

She arches an eyebrow, refusing to budge. "But you can't?"  

"Have to stay," he replies simply. "We're open still." 

Aiko takes in his pale complexion, the dark circles forming under his eyes. Clearly, she wasn't the only one who had a rough night so she insists, "You look like you could use some sleep. I could cover for you."

He looks around the room and shrugs. "It's fine. Not my first choice of places for a nap, anyway." 

She ignores the pointed tone and muses aloud, "I can't imagine anyone venturing out in this weather. You should probably go home—"