Chapter 4 (Oryon)

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Landon asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course not. But we had a deal. We get the guns and then we hit the store," I replied.

"Ryon, he's right," James interjected from the couch. "We have maybe thirty minutes until it's dark."

I shrugged. "We're equipped now. We should be fine. Plus, these guys aren't going to expect us to hit them in the dead of night."

"She's got a point there," Levii stated. "Who in the hell would be ballsy enough to leave their house at night, risking an encounter with skinwalkers to loot a store?"

"It's not ballsy, it's suicide," Landon replied.

I rubbed my face in an attempt to hide my agitation. "Fine. So what are we supposed to do? Stay here?"

Landon shrugged. "Dan doesn't mind."

Dan was laying on the ground staring at the cards in his hand. He picked one and placed it down before shaking his head.

"Well fuck you," Levii told Dan as he threw down his cards.

Dan smirked. "I told you I'd beat your ass."

Levii's face twisted in anger. "How about I beat your ass!"

Declan chuckled and then sat up. "Look, the store isn't going anywhere. You should stay the night and then first thing tomorrow we'll head to the store."

I nodded. I saw no issue with this plan but I wasn't sure how I was going to explain this to Kaia.

"Where's the room?" I asked Dan.

"Hey hold up. We didn't choose who gets the room," Levii objected.

"Oops," I replied, feigning contrition. "But dibs."

Deck groaned and I snickered.

"End of the hall to the left. I doubt you'll need them, but there are extra covers in the closet," Dan said.

I thanked him and grabbed my pack. I walked down the hall and through the front door, where Kaia sat on the porch, leaning against the side of the house.

"So, I talked to the guys and since it's going to be dark soon, we thought it would be best to stay the night. We'll go to the store in the morning.

Kaia didn't bother to look up. She pursed her lips and nodded. I could tolerate Kaia's mood swings or her yelling at me but the silent treatment was the only punishment I wouldn't stand for.

"It's not that big of a deal," I sighed in frustration.

A tense silence stretched between us. I changed tactics and leaned against the doorframe, attempting to appear casual.

"So, what did you and Landon talk about?" I asked her.

I caught her wince at the sound of his name, and she lowered her gaze. She kept her eyes on her hands and did that thing when she got nervous. She'd clench her hands and go real still, like if she didn't move, she could turn invisible. Her reaction only furthered my curiosity.

"Nothing."

I shrugged. "It didn't sound like nothing."

She caved, with a huff. "He wanted to know why I didn't want the gun."

I raised an eyebrow. "What did you say?"

She pulled herself to her feet, dusting off her legs. "Nothing," she muttered as she brushed past me and headed inside. She headed straight to the bedroom and I followed after her. Inside the small room was a single bed pushed up against the wall. Next to it was an oak wardrobe and a small desk. I sighed, looking at the bed. It was going to be a cramped night.