Stake Out

Hester gaped at Amber.

What?!

Did she just say what Hester thought she did?!

A...

A date?!

"With who?" Anadil asked without looking up from her laptop.

She had always been better than Hester at controlling her emotions.

Amber shifted uncomfortably.

"Theresa."

Hester was about to yell, but Amber put a hand on her shoulder calmingly.

"Yes, Amber, you can go on your date tonight," Anadil said without looking up.

Hester gaped and was about to argue, but Amber had already hurried away with her albino mother's blessing.

Hester rounded on her and didn't even notice that Hilda was gagging at the kitchen sink.

"Ani, how could you do this?!"

Anadil smirked and Hester felt herself calming.

Anadil always had a plan when she smirked like that.

~

"This is your plan?" Hester asked incredulously as they sat in Dot's minivan.

Of course she had a minivan.

It made sense considering not only did Dot, Kiko, and Dede use the car, but Hester, Anadil, Hilda, and Amber lived with them.

That meant that Dot, the usual group driver, needed a car that could carry seven people.

But that definitely didn't stop Hester and Anadil from making fun of their childhood friend.

"Do you have a better one? We need to make sure that Theresa treats Amber right."

Hester grumbled and rolled her eyes, crossing her arms across her chest and staring out the windshield.

They were parked outside the movie theater that Theresa was taking their little girl to.

It was a terrible romantic comedy.

So bad that when Hester and Anadil had overheard (read as spied on) Amber on the phone with Theresa, talking about the movie, they expected Amber to cancel the date and hang up the phone immediately.

But instead, she'd just blushed and muttered an "alright, whatever."

"They're here!" Hester hissed.

Hester grabbed onto Anadil's hand and pulled her down out of sight.

"How are we supposed to blend in with this piece of garbage?" Hester asked, gesturing at the car.

It was a modest black color (something that Anadil and Hester had insisted upon when they had helped finance the car) but it had almost a million bumper stickers on the back of it. And, most embarrassingly, it had one of those stick figure families.

But it wasn't exactly a regular one.

There were two tiers, one for the parents and one for the kids.

On the top row, there was a blindingly bright white female one, something Hester had no idea how Kiko found, beside a regular dark black female with little red demon horns Dot had found and super glued on top of it. Anadil had even insisted they added three little rat figures next to her, even though she insisted that it was stupid and frivolous ("if you're going to do something, at least do it right," as she had said).